Prologue: Part 1

"It's almost time for you to leave this place and find your own home," sighed Moon.

He was sitting on his old wooden rocking chair. I sat cross-legged in front of him as he rocked back and forth. We were in the living room, where I sat on my ice blue rug and listened to Moon all day.

"But before you do, you must begin your training."

Moon spoke calmly like he always did. But this time, his voice sounded tired, a bit sad even. I didn't say anything, just listening to him speak. I found his voice comforting as fear rose inside of me.

"You may have many homes before your final one. You may live there with as many people as you wish. But when you do choose your final home, you'll have to stay there until the end."

I... didn't want this. I wanted to stay, listen to Moon's boring lectures every day. I wanted the everyday routine that I was used to. And I knew... I knew I was being selfish, but I couldn't help this feeling. I was so afraid of change, of losing everything I had taken for granted.

"Can't I stay?" I pleaded for the millionth time.

"No," Moon said, shaking his head. "Listen, we've already gone over this. I want the best for you. And right now, the best isn't for you to stay here. This is where you've grown up."

I hated myself for hating Moon. Hating him meant hating everything I had. I didn't want that, but I also didn't want to leave, and Moon was the one who was sending me away.

"You must discover life on your own. What you'll experience can't be taught with words, it can only be lived. You'll gain power after each life. By the time that you choose your final home, you'll have all the power that you need..."

I was barely listening to what he was saying, but he caught my gaze, looking at me with sad, grey eyes. I couldn't help but notice the change in his voice, how it was starting to sound more hopeful than the calm, sureness that I was used to.

"Come," he said, beckoning me closer towards him. "Roll up your rug and take it with you. I've already chosen someone to guide you through your next life. Your new mentor is waiting."

I did as I was told, tucking my rug under my arm. Moon was all I had left and now I was losing him too. I didn't speak. I couldn't. I was too angry. No, I thought, too sad. I waited and thought about how after this, I would have nothing, nothing at all. Moon placed his hands on my shoulders. He felt as cold as ice. I shivered and held my breath, bracing myself for whatever was going to happen next. I didn't even have time to say goodbye, not even if I wanted to — which I didn't. Moon had already disappeared.