Fossils and New Lungs

After the events of the battle of New York, y/n has gotten closer with the Avengers. No, she isn't technically 'an Avenger,' the small group of heroes won't let her go on missions they deem 'too dangerous' for her. This time, however, Fury is letting her go on a mission with Natasha and Steve.

Y/n told her family that she was going on a school trip that only the best students in the school could go on. They allowed her to go to D.C. for 3 weeks.

Y/n is ecstatic about the mission, but right now it's been more of a waiting game. She's been living with Steve in Washington D.C. for a week now, waiting on more information about the mission they will go on.

Tony has let her use any of his technology so she could make herself a superhero suit. He offered to make her one himself, but being the technology geek she is, she insisted on doing it herself.

⍟

The sun is only just beginning to rise over the Jefferson Memorial, painting the sky beautiful shades of pink and purple as I jog the sidewalk of National Mall with Steve.

I pant heavily as I struggle to keep up with him. "You just... go on... without me..." I slow down to a stop and put my hands on my knees, trying to catch my breath. I had only gone about 500 feet at Steve's pace before I got tired. I admire the beauty of the bright colors of the sky reflecting off the water before I start jogging again, this time at my pace.

"On your left," Steve says, passing me and a man who's jogging just ahead of me.

Again, Steve passes us. "On your left."

"Uh-huh, on my left. Got it," the man says.

Steve catches up to us for what feels like the millionth time. "Don't say it! Don't you say it!" The man shouts.

"On your left!" Steve passes us.

"Come on!" The man yells in frustration. The man speeds up and tries to catch up with Steve, but it's no use. Even I cant keep up with Steve and I have really good stamina. The man starts wheezing and slows down to a stop, walking into the grass and sitting under a tree to rest.

"Need a medic?" Steve asks, the two of us walking over to the man.

The man chuckles. "I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you just ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes."

"I guess I got a late start."

"Yesterday it was 14 miles in 30 minutes," I say, looking up at Steve.

"Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap." He pauses for a moment. "Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it," he says sarcastically.