Living Ghost Stories and Bucky Barnes

⍟

I sit looking out the window to my right as Sam drives us to the Triskelion. Natasha to my left, Sitwell on her other side, Steve and Sam in the front.

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks," Sitwell says.

"So why don't you try sticking a cork in it," Sam says irritably.

Natasha sticks her head up front. "Insight's launching in sixteen hours, we're cutting it a little bit close here."

"I know. We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the Helicarriers directly."

"What?! Are you crazy? That is a terrible, terrible idea--" Sitwell yells, but is cut off by a loud thud on the car. A hand reaches through his side of the window, causing it to shatter before grabbing the man and jerking him out of the car. Sitwell's body flies into the oncoming traffic and gets hit by an 18 wheeler. He's dead now.

I catch a fleeting glimpse of a hand gun in the window. Bullets begin raining through the ceiling of the car. Natasha climbs to the front and into Steve's lap. Steve pulls the break handle making whoever it is drop down onto the street when our car suddenly skids to a stop. "Nat, I think your ghost story has come to life," I say.

The Winter Soldier slides across the ground, his metal arm leaving sparks as he catches himself. "Okay, that was freaking awesome."

He slowly rises and starts walking towards us. Natasha prepares to shoot, but a car rear ends us, knocking the gun out of her hands. The car behind us pushes us into the Winter Soldier, who jumps on top of us and reaches his metal arm in through the windshield and jerks the steering wheel out.

"Shit!" Sam exclaims, and Natasha starts shooting at the assassin, but he dodges it by jumping to the vehicle that keeps ramming into us.

Steve grabs my arm and pulls me to the front with the rest of them. "Hang on!" Steve says, slamming into his door to try to get it to open. We all fall out and slide across the pavement on the door. Sam is slung off and tumbles across the freeway. Steve and Natasha wrap their arms around me tightly, encasing me in sort of a cocoon.

We stop and hurry to stand up. The Winter Soldier loads a machine gun and fires it at Steve and hits his shield, sending him flying through the air and off the bridge. Natasha grabs my hand and pulls me behind a vehicle.

The Winter Soldier and the HYDRA men shoot at us. "Kid, can't you deflect their bullets or something?" Natasha asks me.

"No! There're too many and too fast! I cant grasp ahold of them. Besides, you do realize I've never been 'formally' trained in my magic before, right?" I lean against the side of a minivan. "Do you know any sorcerers, witches, or enchanters that could train me?"

The Winter Soldier shoots an explosive at us and blows up the minivan. Natasha and I jump over the concrete divider of the highway and duck behind it. Glass rains down on us from the explosion. The two of us take off running, dodging the oncoming traffic and bullets that fire at us without any break.