Stars, Stripes and The End

⍟

Fury looks at the picture he's holding in his hand. "This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha says.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury opens a case, revealing 3 electronic chips in it.

"What's that?" Sam asks.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized," Maria explains.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own."

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left..."

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD," Steve butts in.

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it."

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave?" Fury retorts. "I noticed."

"And how many paid the price before you did?"

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes."

"Even if you have, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes."

"He's right," Maria says. Fury looks at Me, Natasha, and Sam.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower," Sam says.

"Well... Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

Sam and I walk towards a nostalgic, wistful looking Steve on a bridge outside the secret bunker we've been staying in with Fury. "He's gonna be there, you know?" I say.

Steve sighs. "I know."

"Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop," Sam says.

"I don't know if I can do that," Steve admits.

"Steve, he might not give you a choice," I say. "He doesn't remember you."