The Attack

TW: this chapter contains slight SA as well as attempted r@pe so please be careful when reading!!!

Shirley hadn't seen Cherry or any of her Soc friends since the incident at the diner with Ponyboy. It seemed that they decided they didn't want to remain friends with a Greaser girl. None of them, not even her two best girl friends, stopped by 'Mama's Kitchen' to see her during her usual Monday morning shift.

She didn't regret going out with Ponyboy. In fact, that was some of the most fun she ever had since she came to Tulsa. Sure, it wasn't much but she truly felt like she wasn't just someone's trophy date for a night. In Denver, she was known as a pretty girl and that was it. That's how she became so popular. No one wanted to take her out just because she was Shirley, but because she looked like eye-candy. If you were seen with her, you were labeled as a lucky guy.

Shirley stopped by the Curtis house as often as she could. Ponyboy, Johnny, or even Dally would invite her over before or after she had to work and she would come skipping along. The boys were her friends, after all.

Sodapop started talking to her again and would even compliment Shirley whenever she wore his old jacket. He would consistently say 'it looks good on you' which made Shirley's heart beat a little too fast. She still had a crush on him.

"Shirley, can I take you out tonight?" Sodapop asked her that afternoon after she stopped by once her morning shift was over. Shirley could only nod and he smiled, asking her to be ready by five o'clock sharp. She immediately ran out of the house and to her own so she could get ready. Johnny went with her to help her calm her nerves.

This was sudden. Shirley knew she should have stopped to think about why Sodapop suddenly asked her on a date, but she didn't care. She was going on a date with her crush.

"Do you have your key on you, Johnny?" Shirley asked as she fixed her hair in the bathroom mirror. Johnny leaned against the doorframe of the bathroom and  helped her fix a stray curl that kept falling in front of her eye.

"Always do." He patted the left-side pocket of his jean jacket. Shirley nodded and applied a bit of red lipstick to her pale lips. She was dressed in a casual look that had just a hint of class to it. It was a sweetheart kind-of look with a short-sleeved, white button-up and cuffed jax slacks. She wore her favorite two-toned flats and tied a red neck scarf around her neck. Since it was a little chilly, she threw on Soda's jacket and looked at herself in her bedroom's full-length mirror.

"How do I look, Johnny?" She asked the boy, nervously playing with the hem of the jacket. He smiled and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You look pretty. Now quit your worrying and have a good time tonight." Shirley nodded to him.

"You're right. I have nothing to worry about."

-

The doorbell rung exactly at five o'clock and Shirley nearly jumped at the sound. She took a deep breath and turned to her friend.

"I have many dinner plans that you can either place in the microwave or in the oven. Make sure you eat in an hour. If there is any emergency, of any kind, I need you to go straight to the Curtis house and wait for me there, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I got everything under control." Johnny opened the door and shoved Shirley towards Sodapop, who was standing there in his usual plaid attire. "Make sure you two stay out pretty late. I want to catch my show which doesn't start till eight."

"You got it, Johnny." Soda waved goodbye to the younger boy and walked Shirley towards his car (more like Darry's car). He opened the passenger door for her and, when she was settled, got in himself.