CHAPTER 18

Shay's POV

For the past few days as I continued to go to work, Jason and I have started to get a lot closer and act comfortable around each other more than I had thought we would be. It was one thing that I had noticed have changed recently including my mom's level of curiosity about my whereabouts. She even had me followed by her personal bodyguards one day and thank god I lost them on time to make it back to work without being late. Jason went on a business trip to Dubai three days ago and according to Sylvia, he's returning back today, those last three days have given me enough time to build up my courage and practice what I was gonna say to him.

I've made up my mind, I am going to tell him how I really feel when he comes back. All this effort cannot lead straight into rejection, because I know he feels the same way as I do otherwise why would he even bother trying to get to know me and suddenly being nice to me?

As I quietly work in my office, I couldn't help but glance at the time every after five minutes. It's already past noon yet there was no sign of him yet. The anticipation was contributing a lot to my nervousness that it was also starting to make me feel unsettled. My finger repeatedly click my pen subconsciously and my foot kept tapping on the floor more than a few times. I finally shook my head and tried to focus back on my work rather on the part where Jason still hasn't shown up yet.

What if he decides to stay back in Dubai for a few more days?

Will I be able to build up the courage to tell him by the time he finally returns?

Shit! No that can't be. Sylvia was absolutely sure when she told me this morning that he was coming back today, not tomorrow, or next week or next month. It's today! I was so engrossed in my work that by the time I had finished it was already 4pm. I leaned back in my chair and stared up at the ceiling.

I knew it, he was not coming today. So much for building up the courage on what to say. I wasted half of the day just practicing how I'm going to tell him my feelings for him and right when the day comes for me to do so, he was not here. I quickly grabbed my coat from the back of the chair and picked up my bag and my phone and then turned off the lights in my office before leaving.

My mind was blank, I couldn't come up with anything to think so I just focused my eyes on the road instead. My heart feels heavy with disappointment and I'm suddenly not in the mood to go home. I took a U-turn and drove to my favorite spot in the world, to have some alone time. Ten minutes later, I pulled up beside the road. I got out of the car and walked towards the stone bench nearby and sat down. The thing about this place that I absolutely love is the view. You can see the golden gate bridge from this point and just silently listen to the distant sound of the cars, distant voices that belongs to people walking nearby, staring at the shining moon reflecting on the clear dark water beyond me. This is the perfect place where I love to be alone with my thoughts.

"Miss Kellen?" The voice disrupts my thoughts and made me jump in surprise.

I turned around and was shocked to see Jason standing just a few feet away, still dressed in a suit, and staring back at me with a small smile on his face. I quickly stood up and straighten my skirt and gave a little wave.

"Um.....hi. Ah, what are you doing here?" His smile widens and he started to walk towards me.

"I was just on my way from the airport when I spotted your car. I'm actually surprised to see you here." I folded my arms in front of me and gently rubbed my hands on them when a little cold breeze suddenly enveloped us.

So that's why I haven't seen him all day.

"I um.....I just came here to be alone for a while." He frowned at me and then looked away at a distance.