Chapter 8 - Without Control

Kara woke up that early morning and slowly opened her eyes. Gradually she realized where she was: in Lena's bed, with her hugging her body, Lena's head lying on Kara's chest. She couldn't help the smile that came automatically. Waking up feeling Lena's warmth, hearing her heart, feeling her peaceful breathing, the scent of her skin and hair... Kara, for a moment, thought that maybe she really could be dreaming. She ran her fingers in a caress along Lena's arm that hugged her body, a delicate skin, so soft... At this moment she saw something that made her pay more attention.

She noticed some red and purple marks on Lena's skin. Shoulders, flanks, thighs... her heart ached to see that. Kara had unintentionally bruised Lena's delicate skin, she could see her fingerprints. She looked, with a hint of regret in her eyes, that so beautiful woman asleep in her arms. So fragile in her hands. Her eyes moistened and Kara hugged Lena, as if to support her, to silently apologize... she didn't know what it was, maybe a mixture of the two.

Lena felt hugged and started to wake up. She didn't even open her eyes, she just smiled when she smelled Kara's perfume, there next to her, lying on her bed.

"If I'm dreaming and someone wakes me up, I don't answer for myself. Good morning, beautiful angel of my life..."

"Good morning Lena... did you sleep well?"

"Like an angel! It was the most wonderful night of my life..." She opened her eyes and turned her face leaving a light kiss on Kara's lips.

"What's up, what's that face? Is everything okay? Did you... regret it?" Lena asked uncertainly, as Kara had a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"Of course not! Not for a second! It was all special, magical... much better than I could have imagine."

"Then why that sad look?"

"Because I hurt you."

"What? Of course not, don't talk nonsense, honey..."

"I hurt you, Lena... look at your shoulders, your legs... there are marks from my hands. At some point I lost control and I hurt you! You don't know how much I'm hating myself for it..."

"Kara, you don't have to hate yourself for it... it just happened. I know you didn't do it on purpose. Even among humans it can happen, one leaves marks on the other, you know? And it was to be expected... night was, shall we say, quite intense, wasn't it? You would have more marks than me if it weren't for who you are, that's for sure."

Kara, despite her annoyance at tagging Lena, blushed at her last comment, even with a sad smile.

"Lena, but it's different. If I lose control I might break your nose in a kiss, break your ribs, leave you covered in bruises... how would I feel if that happened?"

"Honey, calm down..." Lena hugged Kara, gave her a small kiss on the lips. "We're going to learn to be with each other."

"I don't want to hurt you every time. I think we'd better hold on until we figure out a way for me not to hurt you like this."

"What do you mean when you say 'hold on'?"

(...)

In the days that followed, every time Lena tried to be alone with Kara in a room, the blonde would dodge, change the subject, even run away. She always found a way to escape something much hotter with Lena.

Days went by like this, Lena trying, Kara running. Several days after their first night, Lena showed up at Kara's door late at night, unannounced.

"Lena? It's already so late, is everything okay?"