This World Inverted

"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore." Clary said as we followed Meliorn.

"Welcome to the Seelie Glade, Clary Fairchild and Scarlett Sageman. The remotest edges of it." Meliorn said.

"How did we get here?" I asked.

"There are entrances all through the mundane world." Jace replied.

"You just have to know where to look." Meliorn added.

"Why did we have to come here to find my father?" Clary asked.

"Because of your necklace. It's a portal shard." Meliorn replied.

"Tell us something we don't know." Jace said.

"How does it work?" Meliorn asked.

I was thankful he wasn't paying Jace any mind.

"When I touch the crystal and I think of someone, I can see where they are." Clary replied.

"I'm curious, Shadowhunter, who knows so much about portals, did you ever wonder why this portal doesn't behave the way normal portals do?" Meliorn asked Jace.

I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing because Meliorn is putting Jace in his place.

"Normal portals can only take you to places you've been. I guess I never really thought about it." Jace replied.

"I see Isabelle is the smart one in the family. (I giggled at that and stuck my tongue out at Jace when he glared at me) Your portal shard works the way it does because it's a piece of a portal from another dimension." Meliorn said.

"Another dimension?" I started.

"You're saying that there's a portal in some other universe that can take us to anyone if we just think of them?" Jace finished.

"If you can find the only portal still standing in that dimension... it will take you to your father." Meliorn replied.

*Serena's POV*

Me and Izzy were walking through the Institute when Alec decided to stop us.

"Where the hell have you two been?" Alec asked.

"Where we needed to be." I started.

"Away from you and your fiancee." Izzy finished.

"Jace, Clary, and Scarlett are on the run. I can't protect either of you if you don't tell me the truth." Alec said.

"We don't need protecting." I started.