Chapter 5: Bad mood!

"It hurts me to tell you this," Rhonda says bright in the morning at a meeting she called for, "I've been checking his bills. The zoo account is empty." She sickly smiles. "He has no more money. He has no idea what he's doing, He is going to end up selling this place to somebody for cheap." She sasses. "For the loan. That's right, Robin! I am warning you now, Behind that front.. is a front!" She continues and I put my head in my hands. 

It's way too early for this shit.

"Benjamin Mee is a fraud!" She yells

"Rhonda, it is too early for this shit!" I exclaim and everyone looks toward me, eyes wide that I actually said anything or that I swore. Mom doesn't even say anything about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here." Lily gives Dylan and I our sandwiches. 

"Thanks" He says and she sits down beside him, facing the other way.

"I hear you might not be staying here much longer." She says. Of course she brings it up, I didn't I just told him Rhonda was being a female dog. 

"Seriously?" He asks with a smile. God, could he be any happier to hear that?

"Yeah," She smiles but it drops the second it appears. "But if you still want to be friends... you know, I'll still be your friend. I mean, theres still cars and all..." She faded out and waits for Dylan to say something. Every since Dylan got here she doesn't even acknowledge my existence. I mean she didn't do too good a job of it before but now it's worse. She doesn't even say 'hi' to me anymore.

"We'll yea, but are you for real with this?" He looks at her now. She hesitates, trying to keep her cool. She nods. 

I smile appears upon his face, "Oh, Yes!" I look up to their conversation now. That was kinda a jerk move. "This is fantastic! I'm going home! See my friends" He finishes and goes back to drawing. Lily starts to look a bit pale and gently rocks back n' forth. If you look closely, you can see her lip start to quiver.

"Hey, listen, I got to go." She says and stands up. "Don't tell anybody what I heard, okay?" She starts to hurry off. Probably to go cry.

"Sure. Thanks! You don't have to leave so fast!" He tells her but she continues to go, not looking back. "I'm going home." He tells himself quietly. 

I just look at him with a look of disgust. I gather my books and start to walk away, not wanting to get in it with Dylan right now.

"Wait! Emilee! Where are you going? I'm sorry! What did I do?" He yells after me. I continue walking away until he pulls my arm, turning me around. 

"What's wrong?" He asks me

"The fact that you actually have to ask why." I say, voice laced with hostility. I shake my head in disappointment and start to walk away again but not before he pulls me around again and smashes his lips onto mine. 

I freeze. And almost immediately kiss him back. Until I remember he messed up big time. I push him away and wipe my lips with my sleeves. 

"No, Dylan. You don't get to be such a jerk and then think you're gonna make it alright by kissing me! Do you even realize how much like a jerk you sounded with Lily? She went off to go cry, Dylan! Because you hurt her feelings. She really likes you! And she thinks you like her too! You're leading her on, just like you are me!" I yell and storm away, not daring to look back. 

Yes, I will admit I am in a bit of a bad mood today. My dad called me late last night, woke me up, to tell me him and Rhonda's aunt got married a few weeks ago and now she's pregnant. Rhonda's aunt, Silvie, wants to try and form a bond with me, for the baby's sake. I told them I would think it over. I haven't told Mom yet, I don't want to upset her again today.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Well... I want to say, it has been an amazing experience here." Benjamin starts and the whole rooms mood lowers. Benjamin's dumping us. 

"Each of you, I've come to know in some small way. But with the financial climate being what it is, um. I think none of us thought.. Well, I don't know how to say this." He looks to Duncan and is silent for a moment, thinking. 

"I've been an adventure addict my whole life, um, with no big regard for cost. None actually. Basically I was an observer and a writer. But this is my first real adventure... And I just want to say, It's been the best one of all, because it's personal. And thanks to my Kathrine.. The money came through." he finishes and the whole room breathes a breath of air. 

"So, I don't know what you've heard," He motions toward Rhonda, "But I am able to say, though I don't have a lot... I do have enough to get us by. And if you stick with me, I promise to give this everything. But I will need everything from you. And we are going to reopen this zoo. It is the best job in the world. And it's gonna take everything in to make it work. So don't.. Don't give up our adventure." 

"Well thats good enough for me!" Mom says and everyone says 'me too'. I'm so happy that he's not dumping us I don't think before I act. 

I hug him. He looks down in shock but hugs me back.

I let go and He turns to Duncan to tell him something. Lily comes up to me. 

"Hey!" She says. 

"Hi" I try to say as enthusiastic as I can.

"Are you okay?" She asks me and I almost break down there. "Lets go up on the roof." I suggest and she follows me.

We go on the roof and I explain to her what has been going on between Dylan and I. What my dad told me and everything else. She nods and listens intently.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Heyy! Yea she kinda reflected me today.. I was kinda irritated with my brother and gram. The short version is that I am gonna walk right outta my teenage years without any memories because of my gram. 

Anyways, I absolutely love it that Emilee has found her voice! She stood up to Dylan! She shouted at Rhonda! I mean Rhonda always deserved that. 

Welp, I'm rlly tired so imma go now! Have a great night/day!

-Rae👩‍❤‍💋‍👨