Unwanted | 2

Sanaa Lathan as KeZiah
(kuhzye•yah)

Sanaa Lathan as KeZiah(kuh•zye•yah)

Recap:

April 14, 2021

"DeVanté, OUT!" KeZiah barked, pointing to the door.

"A'ight, DAMN! Imma let you cool off and we gon' hash it out some other time." DeVanté said, walking out the door. "I love you. Bye." DeVanté said closing the door.

His chest felt heavy. He felt it was over, but he still had faith. Come on, they have been together for over a year. They have been with each other throughout quarantine and enjoyed it. There are married people who ended up divorcing because they couldn't stand their spouse.

DeVanté, on the other hand, enjoyed every bit with a few minor arguments and discussions here and there, but NEVER too serious. This one wasn't that serious when it had started, but it escalated. KeZiah leaned against the door before locking it with tears streaming down her face. She knew how DeVanté meant it, it was just his delivery was wack. She also knew that what he said held some truth.

"Fuck me." She said sliding down the door dramatically.

Present tense

April 23, 2021

Both, DeVanté and KeZiah were torn. They both no longer tested positive for Covid but felt a sickness that neither of them had felt in a long time. Their reactions to things were the EXACT same. They'd be on the phone with their friends just to not speak. Instead, they'd be thinking of each other. They haven't had this much space in a while.

KeZiah knew DeVanté was right about what he said. Her parents didn't really love her, they just tolerated her all her life and treated her like a charity case. She didn't realize it at the time, she was just happy that she was getting all the material things she dreamed of. The toys and gifts then came the love or what she thought was love at the time. They used her for their image. To get the black people on their side and buy their products.

KeZiah doesn't know much about love. I means she does love DeVanté and her girls. That should count, right? It counted when it comes to her family and they aren't blood-related... The love she holds for her family can't compare to the whatever it is they have for her. She can't even think of it as love as she had before.

They used her for their image. She was always the one taken everywhere to be shown off, silenced, verbally and emotionally abused behind closed doors. The reason she probably wasn't physically abused is because it'd show on her skin. KeZiah bruised easily. She has also recently taken notice that none of her siblings who were biologically her parents' children not being treated like her.