Hole In the Wall

Brandee Evans as Isla Mae (eye•luh•may)

June 29, 1967

DeVanté Laurent decided to go to a hole in the wall restaurant. He knows that those are the best kinds of restaurants in the deep south, especially in Mississippi. He stepped inside waiting to be seated for some reason. He didn't want to be rude and just sit down.

There were people dancing, drinking, and eating. Having a good time! It's a hole in the wall combined with a juke joint. The dancing was happening on the other side of the large room. It's looks run down on the outside, but on the inside it looks better.

"Boy, what yo ass doin'?" An older man who's missing teeth asked him. "You must not be from around these parts?"

"Nahh, I'm from further north." DeVanté chucked.

"Gon' up there and get you some food young man. You look like you need it." Another one who's just happen to be on the thicker side said drinking some moonshine.

DeVanté laughed and nodded in agreement. "I do. I am hungry."

"And BONEY!" The big one said.

"Gon' up there boy!" The fat one said.

DeVanté went to the counter. "Hello, I have never seen you here before." Isla said to him.

"I'm not from around here." DeVanté chuckled lowly while nodding his head.

"Oh, okay."

"You from here?" He asked Isla.

"Born and raised." She said in a deep country accent while grabbing a plate.

"I should've known." He replied with his hands in his pockets.

"What you want?" She asked him.

"Excuse me?" He asked her.

"What you want, mista?" Isla held up the platter.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He apologized. DeVanté thought she was being rude.

"It's fine mista. You ain't the first to do that." She replied.

"I would love some of that chicken." He pointed.

She put two thighs on his platter. "Is that enough?"