Chapter 29

YEJI

The dinner was full of fake laughs by the adults. 

Annoying.

Thought everything was already slowly going to normal until this night happened. 

I should've expected that the concept of having a normal family will never happen. Not for us. 

I told them when I turned 18 that I would be the one to choose who I would love. That no matter how absurd their ideas about my dating life are, they should never choose a partner for me. And I honestly believed they were unconcerned about my life.

And again, I was wrong when I thought they didn't care.

Not to care is not their thing.

To meddle is.

"Yeji is going through training and seminars." My dad stated.

I hate their guts. How they laugh in a fake way as if their close.

They're all fake. They're just like that because they gain something from each other.

"My son too." 

Their family is just familiar since I've seen them to some of our company events. I think they're one of dad's business partners. 

Several boastful remarks were made during the dinner. Just two men exchanging statements about their daughter and son as if we're their property. 

Until the adults left the two of us at the garden. 

Awkward.

I just want to go home. I want to be with Ryujin. 

It's my first time meeting this guy and I don't know about him but I don't like the idea of us being paired together. 

"I know you." Woohyun suddenly spoke. 

"Oh..kay?" 

He laughed. "And I know you hate this."

"Don't you?" I countered. 

"Not really." He answered. "Well, there's nothing wrong if we will try? Unless?"

"Unless we're in a relationship with someone." I said. "And I am."

"Oh." He chuckled. "Okay."

We were then startled to see our parents laughing with each other as they entered the garden.

"It'll be a tough battle for you then." Woohyun suddenly spoke. 

"And you?"

"I'm a puppet of my parents since birth. I once did fight for someone and failed. Now, I don't have enough energy to fight for what I want." He said and smiled in a sad manner. "And I think we both know the purpose of this dinner and where this is going."

I chuckled with his answer. "I'm not like you then." I looked at my parents while they're slowly approaching. "I'll fight for what I want."

"Even if you lose the fight?" He asked. "And also your soon-to-be position in the company?"

"I don't care about that." 

"And if you lose your lover on the way?"

"I will never let that happen." I firmly said. 

"You will never let that happen, okay, unflinching determination." Woohyun replied. "But, will that person never let it happen?"

I was quiet. 

"You're crossing the line." I said and glared at him. 

"Just saying." He said. "Been there, done that. Lost the fight, lost my lover too." He chuckled, sadly. "I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm just saying it will be hard."

After our conversation, Woohyun eventually went to where our parents are and I followed a few minutes later. 

"So, when are you two going on a date?" My dad teased. 

I looked at Woohyun since I don't know how to answer my father. Luckily, he was the one who answered.

"It's too early for that, sir." He said and laugh. 

A fake laugh rather. Looks like he knows how to handle this kind of situation. 

"There's no such thing as early in your age. You're both in your 30s." Sir Jon said. "It'll be too late if you don't date."

What a joke. 

If I could just laugh with his statements. But I don't want to make a scene. Not when I'm tired.

After a few more exchanges of words and remarks, as well as plans for the next dinner, they finally bid their goodbyes. Woohyun waved his hands at me before going and I also did the same. 

"I'll go home, dad." I said and started grabbing my things from the couch. 

"Yeji." He called. "Sit here. Let's talk." He said and pointed the vacant seat in front of him, I followed him and sat down where he pointed. 

"I'm not going to date him, dad." I said as I broke the silence. "I already told you before. I don't like the idea of you meddling with my dating life."

"That's not for you to decide." He countered. 

"I'm old enough to decide. Don't treat me like a kid that doesn't know what she wants." I said, sounding kind of angry. "Actually.. I'm in a-"

I'm in a relationship. That's what I'm about to say but he suddenly cut me off. 

"You're going home here."

"I'm what?"

"In a week. You're going back home here." He uttered. 

"Home? You call this home?" I laughed sarcastically.

"No buts. I'll have someone to pick you up." 

"You're going to use force now, dad?" I responded. "I guess I'm wrong when I thought everything was going well."

"Everything will go well if you don't do something I don't want, Yeji." 

"I'm not going here." I said and was about to leave. 

I stood up and walked towards the door. Until he spoke. 

"Ryujin? Is that the name?" 

And it made me weak. 

Not Ryujin. 

"I already talked to that girl." He was pissed. I can sense. 

And what? He talked to Ryujin?

"What?"

"You don't know?" He laughed. "I guess that girl have no fears. She doesn't even care even after the conversation we had."

"She has a name." I said. 

My dad just laughed. "I said what I said. A week."

That was the last thing I heard before leaving that house. Damn house.