Chapter 6: Introductions

Nyah

All I could think about was all the stories I had heard about Fae food not being safe for humans to eat, it would put you under your spell.  My eyes scanned everything in sight but it all looked normal, if you don't count the tang of magic throughout this entire place. 

"Well would you rather faint?" his sharp voice grated on my ears and I shot him a look that made mortal men sweat, he looked away and shifted in his seat and I allowed myself a small smirk at my victory.  I never told my twin but I called that particular stare my "Nasty Nesta Look" it started when we were young and would try to fool people into thinking we were the other, obviously with the hair color difference it only worked with a sunbonnet on but we got away with it often enough, that's when I had picked her signature sneer up. 

"I've heard Fae food isn't safe for mortals?" I asked sharply.

"The food is perfectly safe for you to eat." I detected no lie but plenty of snark in his tone.  Feyre didn't move but I figured, fuck it, we were already stuck here for the moment so might as well be full-bellied and ready to run than starving and trying to survive on an empty belly.  I sat down as far from the blonde man, male I guess, as possible.  Facing Feyre and the door I saw a red headed male stride briskly into the room with his head down, cleaning a knife of some sort.

"Well?  Is Andras dead then?" the stranger asked sharply.  He also had a mask on, his in the likeness of a fox, and the same fine but practical clothes that the beast turned High Fae was wearing.

"An ash arrow.  The treaty summons led me to mortal lands and two girls so I offered them safe haven." went the blond.

"Human girls actually killed Andras." venom laced his elegant voice and he finally looked up.  He whirled towards Feyre as the blond one said,

"Well one of them did, both admit to it but only one sent the arrow that killed him, the other two only slowed him down."

"You're kidding me, one of these scrawny things brought Andras down with a single ash arrow?"  I wanted to almost hiss at the tone he used.

"They didn't even try to deny it."  The red-headed male met my eyes and I refused to back down from his gaze, one eye was green as the meadows around us but the other was golden and mechanical. 

"Well now we're stuck with them thanks to your useless mercy and you've ruined-" he stopped short as Feyre stepped forward a step.  I could see the same fire in her eyes as I felt in mine at being spoken to that lowly.  "Did you enjoy killing my friend?" His gaze swept to the both of us, trying to decipher who did it.  "Or was the hatred in your hearts too much for you to even consider sparing him? Must have been satisfying for a scrawny human mortal to do.  Bragging rights perhaps?"

"Lucien, behave." Snarled the blond one.  Well, at least there was one mystery out of the way.  Lucien smirked and gave a deep, melodramatic bow.

"My apologies ladies, I'm Lucien, Courtier and Emissary.  Your eyes are like stars and your hair-"

"Much more attractive than yours." I snapped and then bit my tongue, heart skipping a beat and my palms started sweating, why did I have to open my mouth.

"The blond's name is Feyre and the dark-haired one is Nyah I believe. Alis will show you to your rooms.  There will be a bath and fresh clothes."  A small dark woman gripped Feyre's arm and started to pull her away so I stood as well, some bread tucked deep into my pocket.

"A pleasure to meet you Lucien, Emissary and Courtier, and?" I glanced at the blond one with a mocking tilt of my head, I could play this game as well as anyone but he wouldn't meet my eyes, his emerald green ones just stared at the doorway Feyre had gone through and an uneasiness set into my bones.  Sarcasm was my best defence against fear and I could wield this weapon even if I couldn't wield another.

"Tamlin." Said the male at the head of the table and the other, Lucien, grinned showing all white teeth.  The spark in his eyes gave me the confidence I needed to follow Feyre's retreating form with as much grace as I could muster.  I caught up to Feyre and as we were going further into the mansion I heard the sharp tone of Lucien snap,

"That's the hand the Cauldron dealt us? One of them brought Andras down? We never should have sent them out, it was a fool's errand.  I say it's not too late, dump the bodies, from the fire in their eyes they'd sooner put a knife in our back's than talk to either of us."

"No.  Their life in that hovel was enough, they stay unharmed end of discussion."  Feyre tensed and her face went pink with embarrassment and anger.

"Then you've got your work cut out for you old son.  I'm sure we can send them to the border and train them, I'm sure the others will find them an excellent replacement for Andras." the only reply to Lucien's snarky response was a snarl that shook the entire house.  Alis lead us through shining halls and up a magnificent stairwell before stopping before two rooms across from each other.

"Thea is waiting for you." She said looking at me and a small tanned woman opened the door with a soft smile.  I looked at Feyre and she nodded, we would be close if something happened at least.  I entered the room and stood in the most amazing finery I had ever seen.  Thea and another masked servant wordlessly bathed, cut my hair, removed all of my body hair and rubbed me in scented lotions until I felt like a lady again, I also got to use the bathroom finally.  These faeries didn't excude the same strength that Lucien and Tamlin did but had the obvious pointed ears and gracefulness that showed they were some sort of faerie.  As I took in the soft pink dress they had for me I snarled at them.

"I'd like to have my old clothes back."  Thea strode out, her deer-like mask gave her an innocent look but the annoyance in her eyes cancelled that out rather quickly when I refused to put the dress on.  While she was gone I finally heard the birds chirping and calmed myself down a bit, I was starting to panic and this dress felt like the last straw for some reason.  This bedroom was probably over half the size of my cottage back in the human lands and shades of pink and brown seemed predominant throughout it.  The bed was about the same size as ours back home, large for one, small for four.  It was heavy and wooden but the blankets looked so soft that my aching body screamed for sleep.  I heard a soft footstep before a soggy mess of rags slapped me in the face.  I sputtered and clawed it off before examining them.

"They fell apart the moment they went into the water." She said sharply. "Now will you wear the dress?"

"I haven't worn a dress in years," I said softly and her face lost its harshness.  She opened a drawer in the dresser and pulled out brown trousers and a black shirt.  They looked well made and too fancy for my liking but I took them gladly, anything other than a dress.  "Thank you, Thea."  And I meant it with every fibre in my being.  She had every reason to hate me but chose to be kind, even if her master wasn't.  She brushed my hair back once I was changed and braided the top half of it but left the rest loose, adding several small braids to the loose part with golden beads woven into them.

"You don't have an ounce of extra anything on your bones." Her lilting voice said.

"Welcome to winter in the mortal lands"

"Careful girl," her serious tone made me lift my eyes from my lap to look into hers through the mirror.  "Keep your sharp tongue silent and ears open.  Your a smart girl and it would be wise to keep your wits about you, human senses don't work as well in these lands.  Plenty of people here are going to be upset about Andras, especially if neither of you will confess as to who really did it.   Don't snap at the master but Lucien, he's always up for a good spat." I grinned half-heartedly at her and she gave a soft smile back, although it didn't quite meet her eyes. 

"Well, little does he know that I'm always ready for battle."