#1 || Castles Crossroads

Phils day had been a blur. The platform, the train, the castle, now this. His life had been flipped upside down the moment that emerald inked letter had slipped under his door.
As the strange The Hat had been babbling out his song, Phil his captive audience, another boy took notice of his rapturous smile.
Dan had sat alone on the train, knowing full well why. His mother banished to Azkaban, as a known and feared death eater made many wary of him, whether they looked on in fear or awe. None of kids seemed to have the kindness or courage to approach him. But something about that cheerful smile, those glistening pools that illuminated his face, made Dan want to just say hi. Should he do it? No, what if he told him to go away?
Phil gasped as the hat called its first name. What house would "Emma Aelts" go in? He wondered. "RAVENCLAW!" The hat bellowed. that was the house for smart kids right? Phil clapped, happy for her, wondering what house he would land in.
Dan watched the ebony haired boy clap for that Ravenclaw like it was the highlight of his day. What a goof ball. Normally he tried to avoid those happy-go-lucky types but something drew him in. Several children were called and he cheered for each of them.
"Howell, Daniel!" Oh crap. The other kids gave him wide berth as he passed. Here it comes. All thoughts of the other boy fled his mind and fear began to take its place. I'm going to be tossed into Slytherin, just like my mom. He knew that's where he belonged, wanted to be, even, but another half of him wanted to prove the others wrong. Do away with the Evil Slytherin stereotype. But he knew it wouldn't happen, because he didn't fit in in any of the other houses, heck maybe he didn't fit in at all! The familiar panic crashed at the shores of his mind like black waves, drowning his self esteem. He would probably be turned out just because of his parents. Forget getting into a house, how about getting into a school at all! He probably was summoned by mistake, and would be expelled- he sat on the wooden stool- for lack of ability. He felt the old hat in his hair line but panic kept him from knowing it. Maybe they will give me up just because I'm so un extraordinary- "SLYTHERIN!" Wait what?
He... Had been sorted after all? He was in Slytherin? He looked up in a daze, eyes drawn first toward toward the stomping and cheering emerald table. Next toward the boy with the black hair at the edge of the stage. Who was smiling at him. Who caught his eye. Who kept cheering. It seemed like the joy of the stranger was getting to him, and he smiled, huge and genuine, as he walked to his new house.
Dan remained alert as the seats around him filled with fellow first years, and he waited for that one kid to get sorted. I at least have to know his name! He thought. And finally he came on the stage "Lester, Philip!" And was sent to Hufflepuff the moment the hat touched his head. Oh well. You can't have everything.
The girl sitting next to him glanced at him with a scared look and scooted away, not bothering to be inconspicuous. With the school in this state, he assumed it would be like this year round. The infamous Corrow siblings where even stalking the aisles.
This is already a great year. He thought to himself as he placed his head on the table, cushioned by his new robes.
"I'm on great terms with the Headmaster! His favorite! And do you know what?" Some seventh year across from him drawled. "Potter, and that Mudblood Granger are both no shows this year! My father will hear about that!
This was exactly the kind of kid people always mistook him for, and the kind that he was trying to avoid. But-Malfoy? Was that his name?- seemed determined to catch his eye.

"Whoo, hottie alert at one o'clock!"
"Tyler! Shush!" A blonde girl whacked the offender on his shoulder as Phil approach, laughing to himself.
He sat next to the other Hufflepuff first years, smiling. "I'm Louise." The girl said apologetically. Long blonde hair with pink ends and a perky face with rosy cheeks and happy eyes made her look very friendly. "And I'm Tyler!" Said the boy next to her, putting one hand on his chest and holding the other out to Phil. Tyler had the same eyes and friendly smile as Louise, although he had decorated his face with large glasses and green hair. Phil couldn't wait to get to know them.
"I'm Phil!" He took Tyler's hand. "Nice to meet you."
The chatter engulfed him and he joined in happily, his worries about this strange school disappearing along with the bounteous feast that had appeared. "So did you see? Harry Potter!" Tyler gossiped shamelessly. "I can't believe it!" Louise rolled her eyes. "As long as you don't kill him on your hunt for an autograph. "Louise!" Tyler gasped. "I am above murder! But did you see that Howell kid? I'm surprised he was even allowed to come, considering his parents!"
"Oh the one with the dark hair? The Slytherin?" Phil asked. "He seemed nice enough."
Louise nodded. "He's not his parents Tyler." "Oh I know, I know!" He waved a dismissive hand. "But he did follow his parents into Slytherin..." Phil glanced across to Slytherin, eyes searching calmly for The Boy. As glad as he was for his new friends, he really wanted to get to know this mysterious boy.