#9 || Our Blood Is The Same

"Hey Dan."
Phil took his hands, pulling him back as the rest of the group walked out of the room of requirement.
"Yea Phil?"
Each finger was interwoven, their palms pressed together. They where standing so close that their chests where pressed together, their knees knocking. Dan hoped Phil couldn't feel his hear racing.
"Stay alive, okay?"
They where both grim faced, but each refused to let the other see the fear in their eyes. Dan pressed his forehead against Phil's, looking down at his own shoes.
"Well Duh..."
Phil squeezed his hand and took a deep breath.
"Because it's my birthday tomorrow, and it will be no fun if your not there."
"I'll stay alive."
"Promise?"
"I promise."

Dan had been thinking a lot about what Neville has said. That he was only there not because he had any skills, but because of his mother.
He wasn't a healer like Phil, who seemed to be a prodigy. Nor was he much of a strategist like Luna, and he certainly didn't have Finn and Persia's abilities.
The only class he really stood out in was... Well... Nothing really. He had good grades in potions and charms. He could heal, but not like Phil. He was abysmal at herbology and didn't even take divination! Dan was all around mediocre.
But he pushed this out of his mind as they (Ginny, Neville, Dennis, Luna, Finn, and himself) snuck silently toward the teachers lounge where they knew the Carrows would be waiting.
Phil wasn't with them, he was waiting at the tower with Finn, where the attack on Fenrir was supposed to happen. They where keeping up with their progress from afar, ready to floo powder to the room if they were needed.
The hallway was pitch black,  and deadly silent. Any older students who had dared to sneak out had been punished severely, and no one was willing to risk it.
Except of course those with a death wish, like them.
It took many minutes of worried and sweaty minuets of tip toeing along the corridors, with the camouflage spells a lanky ravenclaw had preformed on them about to wear off before they even found the staff room where Amicus was to be found. Neville neared the door, placing his wand on it, ready to throw it open, before looking back at them, grim determination in his eyes. They all knew full well what going toe to toe with Death Eaters meant.
And so the seventh year turned back around and shouted a curse, and the door exploded in a flash of white light and rubble.

Phil say across from Finn, staring into the crystal ball anxiously. Right now al, they were seeing was the group sneaking along the hallway. Phil paid special attention to Dan, who looked oddly determined. He wanted to smile proudly, but was way to nervous. If anything went wrong it was his responsibility to make sure there where no casualties.

Casualties. What a weird thing to think about. It didn't seem quite real, if he was being honest. Months ago he was happy and living a normal twelve year old life. Now he was trapped at this hell of a school fighting for the lives of his school mates, while his parents fought for the lives of all wizards.

Phil tried to pay attention to what was happening, averting his eyes back to the shiny glowing ball. The group was nearing a door, and then Neville halted by it. It's about to happen. Dan is about to battle with death eaters. He studied Dans face, and instead of seeing fear he saw grim determination.
And then A flash lit up the orb as the door blew open, and he heard them shouting and running into the room, wands out. Phil caught his breath leaning in to watch the carnage anxiously.

Dan hurled himself forward, his thin wand held defensively in front of him. Amicus was indeed alone in the teachers lounge, as expected, but she was already on her feet, her wand was already pointed at them and she already had a victorious smile on her face.
"Sectumsepra!" The death eater howled, and before any of them could do anything about it, the curse hit Malcolm square in the chest.

Phil bolted upright the second Amicus' curse hit Malcolm.
"I've got to go!" He said frantically.
"No! Not yet!" Finn said, shooting up too.
"What are you saying? It's my job to heal them, and Malcolm just got hit with sectumsempra! Do you know what that curse does? It's a spell designed specifically to shred flesh!"
"Phil calm down! Just think. They are in the middle of battle! If you go now, you'll put yourself and them in danger."
"But-"
"It will be over in a few minutes. You can help him then."
Phil shook his head, but he knew Finns logic was sound. He sat back down, looking anxiously toward the crystal again.