Chapter 1

I sat next to my grandma at her stall, looking out over the people milling about. No one really seemed to be shopping, more looking for an excuse not to go home. Not to have to look into the eyes of their starving children. The Hob seemed to be busier than normal today. The upcoming Reaping had everyone acting a little strange, like it does every year.

"I am going to go talk to Sae." My grandma said, smiling at me. She liked having me with her to sell her goods so she could talk to her friends more.

"I'll be here." I smiled back at her. I watched her hobble away, her one sleeve rolled up to the stump of her arm.

I waited for a while, scraping my nail into the wood grain, until I noticed someone walk up to my table. I look up at the customer. "Ahh, Cray! Good to see ya." I smiled at the Peacekeeper. If you were nice to them, they wouldn't give you too hard of a time.

"You haven't been here in a while, Raven." Cray smiles at me. The way his mouth curls and the look in his eyes always makes me uneasy. I'm not sure why, but I don't think he is very trustworthy.

"Yeah, finished school and have been working." I tell him. "How much are you wanting today?"

"Hmm, well, I think I'm after about three bottles." The creepy grin never leaves his face as he speaks.

I reach down and grab three bottles of the nastiest, harshest liquor you could imagine. His grin grows as he slaps some money down on the table and he pulls the bottles to himself. Once they are stowed and I have collected the money, he leans down on the table. "What are you doing for work?" He asks.

"Oh, odd jobs. I babysit here and there for the shopkeepers. Housekeeping. Weeding gardens for some who don't have the time." I tell him, taking a step away from the table, away from his rank breath.

"You ever need any..." He pauses, searching for the correct word, "supplemental income, you just let me know. I'm sure we could work something out."

I fight the shudder that makes its way down my back. "I will keep it in mind."

He stands, still grinning, and says "Well, better get back out there." He mocks a bow and walks away, his shoulder blasting past someone else who is making their way over.

"Don't you ever do it, girl." The next customer leans against the counter. At least he keeps his distance and isn't breathing down my shirt. "If you are ever that desperate, come to me. I have a house that needs cleaned, or a garden that needs... planting, weeding, everything." He looks up, and his grey eyes pierce into me. "I'll find something for you."

I smile and pull out the usual six bottles. "Thanks, Haymitch."

He grunts, slips some money on the counter and grabs his bottles. "I'm serious. You've always been a good kid. Don't need someone like Cray messing with ya." With this, he stands up and staggers away.

"Bye, Haymitch!" I say, cheerily. He throws a wave over his shoulder and walks out of view.

I've always liked Haymitch. But I tend to like people who come across grumpy. They are the people who aren't playing tricks. The people who are honest.

The day dwindles on, and I help my grandma pack up her wares and take them home. We store the bottles under the floor of her house. I say goodbye to her and make my way home. It's not too far, a short walk through the Seam.

I reach my house and carefully push open the deteriorating door and enter. I can smell that mom has made dinner from the meat I brought home earlier. Birch is sitting and doing her homework. They both look up and smile at me as I come in and strip off my shoes.