Chapter 2

There was a collective exhale. Slowly, people started to turn toward me. Their eyes full of sympathy and sadness. I slowly step out of the group of eighteen-year-olds. Their faces are the worst. You were almost safe.

I make my way up to the stage and Peacekeepers surround me. "Well, there she is! Come along, dear." I hear Velora say over the pounding of my heart. I can hear sobbing. Birch? Is she sobbing?

As I climb the steps, the Peacekeepers pull away from me, staying on the ground. I walk across the stage to stand next to Velora. "How wonderful! Everyone, your female tribute, Raven Copperstone!" Velora claps lightly, her hands extended toward me, and everyone on the ground just stares. People begin slamming their feet into the ground together. Boom. Boom. They are becoming more in sync. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. There isn't a smile as the population of District 12 stomps their feet.

I haven't seen anything like this. District 12 is not full of courageous people. It is full of people who would look away from a problem rather than make it their own. But not now. This is a District 12 full of people saying that it isn't right. They know me. I have traded with most of these people. I take care of my family, who will do that now?

It takes Velora Ivory a few minutes to get the rest of the district to calm down enough to proceed with the Reaping. I watch as she teeters on her high heels over to the boy's globe. "And for the boys!" Her fingers don't take near as long to find this slip of paper as they did to find mine.

I am close to hyperventilation when she makes it back to the microphone. She unravels the name.

"Sky Eversole!"

I clench my eyes shut. Of course, it has to be him. I look out to see a skinny boy from the Seam steadily walk out of the fourteen-year section. He is Birch's friend. A close friend. He comes to our house quite often, helping her with homework or just playing outside.

I see the fear in his eyes. He knows he won't make it home. I look over at our mentor, Haymitch. It's ironic that I probably just sold him the liquor that made him too inebriated to be of any real help. Even though he is drunk, his eyes meet mine with a good amount of clarity, and a small amount of sadness.

The Reaping must be over because I am being guided into the Justice Building. I am put in a room to say my goodbyes. The room looks like it only gets used once a year, when the previous tributes have said goodbye. There is a thin layer of dust coating just about everything. The air smells musty from lack of use.

I wait a few minutes, eyes wide as I scan the room, still in shock. The door bursts open and suddenly my sister's arms are around me.

"You have to live." She says seriously.

"I'll do my best." I tell her, my arms wrapping around her shoulders. She is crying, but I can't let myself cry. I can't look weak in front of the cameras. I pull her away from me and hold her shoulders. "You have to find ways to get food. There are people that will help. Go to the Hob if you need. Find things to trade or skills. If someone will teach you a new skill, learn. Knowledge is as tradeable as goods."

She nods and I look to my mom. The look is all she needs before she breaks down. Her arms envelope me and my head goes to her shoulder. I can't cry. I cannot cry. She pulls back from me and nods her head. "I'll take in more washing. I'll keep up on your housekeeping. I can do it." She sniffles.

I nod. "You guys can do it. Don't let her drop out of school. She needs an education."

Mom is nodding as the Peacekeepers open the door. "Time's up!" They order.

"No wait!" Birch is holding me again, her arms like a vice.

"It's okay!" I yell as the Peacekeepers pull her off me. "I'll see you in a few weeks!" The door slams shut and I'm alone again.