A Road to the Future

I've been driving for a while now.

The trees and roads all blend together until my head hurts. I close my eyes for a second, then hear a sharp honk outside.

My car is drifting into the other lane, rolling straight at a semi truck. I hear myself screaming, my mom screaming, the crash of the car as it collides with the tree-

I swerve back into my own lane. The truck passes without another sound.

I wasn't in the car with my mom when she died, but I have nightmares about it all the time. Her screaming, my dad yelling, the car rolling without stopping. I wonder what she thought about before she was lost to oblivion.

Was it me? Was it my dad? I'll never know. Instead I'll spend my entire life searching for answers she can't give me. Because she's gone. I'm the only one left of the Reigns family.

My white knuckles grasp the wheel. Music plays softly through the speakers. I turn it up louder so I can no longer hear myself think. I press my foot against the pedal. The car speeds up and I am flying. The trees blur into one green blob. Nothing in my pathetic life exists but me and Itsy heading for New York.

A sign flashes past my window. I'm in New Jersey, almost at the bridge. My new life begins in less than an hour, once I finally set foot in the big city. I reach to the dashboard, where my phone is connected. I pick it up and scroll though my music until one of my favorite songs come up. It's by panic at the disco, one of my favorite bands.

Whoa, Whoa...

It starts. I take a deep breath and start singing along.

If you're a lover, you should know

The lonely moments just get lonelier

I sing, voice loud and clear. It harmonizes with the song. My parents used to tell me I was a great singer. I used to sing all the time, not so much any more. My voice carries throughout the car. This is the first time I'm sung in a while.

The longer you're in love

Than if you were alone

I feel myself start to tear up. I've never been in love, but have always wanted to be. I like this song because it talks about missing love, though. The only time I felt really loved was with my parents. And even then, only my mom. I miss her.

Memories turn into daydreams become a taboo

I was never allowed to talk about them when I was with Gary and Janet, my foster parents in Palm Springs. I blink out the tears in my eyes, and crack the window. Wind whips through my hair. I feel alive.

My phone chimes, interrupting the song. I turn down the music, it fades into the background. I pick my phone up and glance at the screen.

My parent's faces stare back at me. I nearly collide with another car in my haste to get off the road. People honk at me, but I park carelessly and pick up the phone again.

It's a picture of my parents. A picture I thought I lost forever. I'm sitting in between them at my birthday party, all three of us smiling and looking at the camera. My mother's blue eyed smile grins back at me. Her long honey blonde hair hangs down to her shoulders. She's laughing, passing me a present. Her wedding ring shines on her finger. My father looks at her with love in his eyes, an expression he saved only for her. His forest green eyes bore into mine. His smile is practiced, teeth straight and even. Not a hair is out of place. An 800 number pops up. Underneath the picture someone texted me:

Want to see your parents again?

The message on my phone reads. But that doesn't make sense.

My parents are dead.

I type, delicate fingers tapping on the screen.

We have information about their murder.

Murder? I type, then pause. We? Who's we? What are you talking about?

I ask. None of this makes any sense. What's happening?

Come to this location.

A picture is attached to the message. A warehouse, with A warehouse, with a single spade, like the kind on the card, burned into the door. It looks intricate. A blurry sign is in the corner, but I can't make out the words.

Who are you?

No response. I gather myself, brushing my hair back out of my eyes, then get back on the road.

A few minutes later my phone chimes again. I pull up the message thread. One response:

Someone who owes your parents a favor.

a/n: can anyone tell me what song that was :) lol it's one of my favs... oooh whats going to happen to our gurl??? It's getting hot in hereeeeee... hehehe mysterious~~~ im really excited to share the next part guys :) any comments are much appreciated... i wrote this instead of studying for my math test :0 lol wish me luck 

xoxo <3 <3 

rosy :3