Twenty seven

His black eyes stared down into mine as he continued to hold me still.

Nerves fluttered in me, nerves that surfaced after the thought of giving him every possible defense mechanism I had against him. To be powerless in front of a beast I had not yet known.

"Look at me," he growled, his voice deeper and raspier than I'd ever heard it before. His face was still a mere inch from mine. His eyes were so black, that I could see my own reflection in them. A doe in a lion's eyes, that what I saw looking into them. "I want you to see me for who I am, for what was taken from me."

I raised my hand and placed it on his cold, hard chest. There was no heartbeat under that stone body. "I'm not scared of you Harry," I said and I could've sworn I felt a little tug on our bond.

Not only were his eyes completely black, but his skin was also dusted with multiple shadows. His face looked sharper, more defined than usual, and his shoulders wider. 

This was exactly what the witch spirits had shown me before. This face— was not soft and sweet. This face was dark, wicked, and if I had not known him for what he was, if I had only seen him as a stranger, I would've been terrified.

But Harry and I— we lived in a different world than normal people. A world I was blind to before I came to the castle. A world of magic, spells, curses, and shadows. 

He stared back at me, his eyes shifting between both of mine. Then they shifted to my lips, and for a moment my stomach dropped. I mentally dared him to lean in and kiss me, begging him silently as I stared back at him. When he didn't I couldn't help that pang of disappointment that arose in my chest. 

He stepped away and I looked over him. Shadows dancing all around him, a wicked smile pulling on his lips as he snapped his fingers and a purple flame igniting from his skin. 

The world around us began to darken. Either his shadows extended to the sky or his power was pulling in a storm. 

"Not quite my original self," He said, his eyes still dark and black as he looked over his own body, "but good enough. Witch magic won't fuel my blood for long." 

"Show me what you can do," I said, matching his wicked smile. As confident as I was trying to be with him, a small part of me worried. I pushed down that small bit, burying it deep in me as I told myself to let it go— to enjoy this, enjoy him. 

His smile only grew— and as if the earth herself were warning me, a clap of thunder rattled through the sky. The horses we had ridden here, tied up to a nearby tree, neighed loudly, scurrying in their spots.

His shadows grew around him, swirling around in a smoke of blackness. The sky got darker, grey clouds swirling above. His black eyes glittered with enjoyment as he raised his hands, causing the wind to pick up around us. He created a whirlwind of shadows and wind around our camp, breathing in as he exerted his power. 

There he was, nothing but darkness and destruction radiating off of him. He laughed as birds scattered, laughed as the limbs of the trees began to crack and fall, laughed to the horses who were terrified in their spots. I rose my arm up to my face, to cover myself from the flying debris. Purple flame mixed in with the wind around us, a flame that was not hot— but cold with darkness.

I could toy with the wind, push and pull on subtle breezes— but this — this was catastrophic. 

"Harry," I called, shielding myself from sticks and twigs that had begun to fly through the air. Some of them were flying around so fast that they were begging to sting when they slapped my skin. 

I could hear the horses neighing loudly and large branches from trees beginning to break. All darkness was drawn to him like he was its owner. Lightning flashed in the sky, illuminating his wicked smile and pearly black eyes.