Forty two

The following day my sister and I spent time at our parent's grave.

It was relieving to say the least, that I could see them resting someplace nice. They were buried right outside the castle grounds, in a place they wouldn't have naturally been buried if it wasn't for my request and newly profound status.

I never liked graveyards.

There were no vibrational energies here, or at least, none that I could feel besides my own. Hundreds of people were rotting beneath my very feet, returning themselves back to the earth.

My magic reached out to my parent's bodies under the freshly dug soil. I searched and felt for them while my sister quietly wept. They were unnaturally cold and stiff, feeling similar to how it felt to feel one of the statues in the garden. To feel them like this saddened and angered me altogether.

I stowed away my feelings, locking them in a chest behind my heart. As much as I longed for them, I couldn't mourn them any longer. If I did, I would be consumed by it daily, and right now in times of uncertainty, it was best I became numb. It was my foremost attempt at taming the beastly magic that constantly bubbled within me. The same magic that had started to claw into any dark thought that crossed my mind.

We were allowed to roam freely, Harry made that very clear, upon the condition that we are accompanied by a guard. I can't say I don't blame him for making that decision after what happened earlier this week.

Evander respectfully stood guard, keeping his distance from us so we could have privacy. I was thankful for that. He was just far enough away to be able to keep a lookout but not listen in on our conversation. I assume he specifically appointed himself this duty because he didn't trust any of his knights after what happened. That and, undeniably, Harry probably gave him a good scolding.

Ayla wiped under her eyes after returning from resting her hand on the tombstone, "I'll be over there," she pointed to where Evander was.

"Okay," I said softly, "I'll be done in just a second."

She nodded before walking off, her sniffles echoing behind her.

I let out a long breath. The air here was musky and heavy with death. Graveyards were not meant for the dead, they were made for the living. In a way, I felt selfish having them buried here. It was the only thing I had to cling onto a piece of their memory.

I walked forward, my hand grazing along the freshly dug dirt. My fingers twiddled in my skirt before pulling out a small jar. I read somewhere that fresh grave dirt can be used for certain spells. I just didn't want to snag some in front of my sister.

I placed the now full jar back in my pocket, standing upright and giving the double grave one good look. My lips pressed together as sorrow pounded itself against its cage. I ignored it, tucking it away and turning on my heel.

I fell in step with my sister while we walked alongside Evander. His hand remained on his hilt, his stance broad, and his eyes roaming about as if he were preparing himself for an attack. He was in a metal suit today. Other than his missing helmet, he could easily be identified by the decorative plate on his chest. Unlike the others, his was gold and black, marking him as the commander of arms.

Thankfully the cemetery was within walking distance of the castle. I don't think I could've bared to ride a horse or be pulled by carriage today. The thought itself gave me bouts of motion sickness.

There was one thing truly turning my stomach today, and that was the thought of taking care of the prisoners. I still had no idea how I would punish them, but I feel that if I just hand that duty off to Harry, they would all end up dead. Death, no matter how justifiable, was something I didn't want to have on my hands. It was a weight heavy enough to taint even the darkest of souls.