Chapter 8: Two Working Husbands

Quick question for the married ones out there. Has there ever been a time when your spouse acted like an abandoned troll because you decided to take on a new role or project? Cause mine is about to lose his head because of it. 

Lan Wangji may be perfect in so many ways but even he has flaws...

              Chapter 7

"A'Ying... Wei Ying... Bunny," Lan Wangji checked all the places his spouse could be in their home but the was no sight of him. He settles down in the bedroom, removes his necktie, undresses and takes a refreshing bath. 

The next thing Wangji does is pick up his phone. Two things; time and missed calls. Sadly there was nothing from his wife and it was past seven. He calls but is redirected to voicemail. 

When Lan Wangji walks into the kitchen he is taken aback by the several notes plastered to the kitchen counter and the fridge. Servants were not allowed in these parts after five. ( Lan Wangji did not want any disturbances when he was with his bunny.) 

'Food is in the fridge, warm it up and you're good to go. Love You.' 

Wangji puts the note away and heats his dinner to eat alone. These were some of the inconveniences he had to put up with because Wei Ying wanted to help Jiang Cheng for some months. Coming home to an empty house, eating alone, waiting for the other to show up after those late-night meetings he did not understand. They were in the third month and Wangji's tolerance was experiencing cracks.

Wei Ying went straight to the kitchen when he arrived. Confirming that his husband had eaten, he drinks a glass of water and goes upstairs to the bedroom. He sets his briefcase aside and unbuttons his suit as he sits on the bed. "Baby," he kisses Lan Wangji on the cheeks to announce that he was home. 

"Are Thursdays and Fridays not your off days anymore?" Lan Wangji grumbled.

"Yeah, something came up, I had to meet an important client but I sent you a text message earlier."

"I never got a message from you, Wei Ying."

"That's odd, I sent it this afternoon," Wei Ying scrolled through his phone to confirm. "Oh shoot, it did not go through... Lan Zhan ahh, Im sorry," he plastered his face against Wangji's. "You know how these meetings can get."

"That's precisely why I told you not to work. Can you truly say you can juggle your family's business and being my wife?" Lan Wangji did not budge. 

Wei Ying sat up, pouting at him with puppy eyes. "I messed up, but you don't have to be mean to me. Lan Wangjiiiii," Wei Ying played his usual tricks to gain pity, climbing on top of his husband, playing with Wangji's hair and rocking him till he gets a pardon. Unfortunately, Wei Ying had crossed so many lines. 

"You don't pick up your calls, no notice when you go out. I work all day only to come back to an empty house. And when I do see you, you want to leave. Im getting sick of eating alone and going to bed without a goodnight kiss."

"But I just kissed you."

"It's not the same Wei Ying... Goodnight," Wangji interlocked his fingers on his chest like a cold-hearted vampire and shut his eyes.

"Come on, don't be like this. How do you think I felt whenever you were too busy to stay home with me," said Wei Ying.

"And yet you know every appointment I cancel to get home early," Wangji retorted.

 Wei Ying did not stretch the topic further that night and apologized for days. But Wangji would not accept mere words, he wanted a different kind of compensation- he wanted to be able to track his wife's phone. Wei Ying did not see the harm in that since he had nothing to hide but that would soon come to bite him.