Wednesday, December 23, 2015

After morning breakfast at the hotel, Agent Jennifer Estrada and Agent Jeffrey Zenner rent a car and make their way to the neighbourhood of Baba.

At a Werd monastery, Estrada meets eighty-six year old Sister Karla Rapinat to obtain the relic, while Zenner remains as look out.  

During the meeting, members of a Gokudō group, led by Genzō Dango attack. With them and observing is Evelina Pola, an operative of the Directorate of Policy Coordination.  Estrada and Zenner attempt to flee in their car, but a pair of Gokudō members disable their car with gun shots. Estrada gives the relic to Zenner and orders him to flee. Estrada remains behind to cover his escape.

During the attack, a Gokudō member shoots and kills Sister Machi Shio. The blood splatters on Sister Hiroe Kajiyashiki.

After securing the area, the Gokudō herd the captured sisters into the main room. Sister Karla is brought before Pola, who demands to know where the relic is. Sister Karla chides Pola. Growing impatient, Pola kills Sister Karla by striking her down with a shinsakuto sword.

Soon after, Estrada is also captured and brought into the monastery. While the Gokudō members tear apart the monastery searching for the relic, Pola sets up interrogation equipment in a chapel room. He instructs a group of Gokudō members to bring him Estrada and some of the Werd sisters, including Sister Hiroe.

Pola drugs Estrada with a trust serum, developed by the Directorate of Covert Intelligence. While there are no drugs that make one speak the truth, the serum contains a drug that make one more free to talk, whether a truth or lie, and is mixed with another drug that make one trusting of others. Pola learns the relic is with Zenner.

Pola contacts Chief of Staff Donella Weldon with the information.

* * *
Zenner has been walking for sometime now in the city streets, thinking what to do. He ponders: How were they discovered? Is there a mole in the operation? How much does Pola Jr. know? Can he trust making a call to his handler? Where is Estrada? Was she captured? Is she still alive?

At this time of year, the sun sets early. At 4:31 PM, the sun sets and Zenner is still wandering the streets not paying much attention to which neighbourhood he is walking in. A bunch of street thugs, see Zenner as a lost tourist and attempt to rob him. He resists and things turn into a fist fight in a back alley.

The fight is interrupted by a mysterious Šnagan (the grandson of Žigma), who knocks out everyone with a stun blast from his signet ring. The Šnagan takes the unconscious Zenner and leaves the thugs on the street.