Twenty-two.

"I'm bored. When are we going to be there?"

They were all sat in a huge carriage; Lavinia, Jane, Diana, Anne, Minnie May, Mr. Barry and Mrs. Barry. Heading to Charlottetown, where Miss Barry lived.

Lavinia had expressed to Diana about how she needed a way to find out Gilbert's whereabouts, so she can send him the letter about the gold.

Her friend had told her that her grandmother could help her find Gilbert and in which ship he was in.

Jane and Anne decided to tag along with them because they had nothing else to do. And they wanted to help their friend find where Gilbert is.

Anne looked excitingly at Mr. Barry, "Mr. Barry, I know it's indecorous to ask about financial matters, but I'm so curious about this gold business!"

"Yeah. Well, what would you like to know?"

"Where to start?! Well, I'm bewitched by this notion of how money moves from country to country. It seems like magic."

"I can see how you'd perceive it that way."

"Minnie May, please be careful." Diana glared at her younger sister.

"So your money travels from England to Charlottetown?"

"It's like a telegram, but with cash instead of words."

"You must be receiving a substantial amount since you're not only testing your soil for gold, but you're also-"

"There'll be enough for many, many Avonlea families to test the value of their land. I believe a rising tide should lift all boats."

"Then you'll distribute the money to those in town who want their soil tested as well?"

"The money goes to Nathaniel. He collects it directly in order to expedite the process for everyone."

Mrs. Barry smiled sarcastically at Anne, "Mr. Barry doesn't usually discuss our finances. Today's your lucky day, Anne."

Lavinia noticed how Mr. Barry kept avoiding his wife's gaze, where she was glaring daggers at him. There was also a safe distance between them.

"Ow! Stop it!" Diana moved away from Minnie May, crushing Lavinia because she was on her other side.

"Ow!"

"Minnie May, please be respectful of where everyone is sitting. Know your place."

Lavinia quickly made space for Diana, shuffling to Jane's side causing the latter to groan in pain too, "Ow!"

Minnie smiled menacingly, "Sorry, Mother."

The girl soon started licking the window, leaving a disgusted looking Jane, a laughing Lavinia, and a mad Diana.

Her father finally noticed, nudging his wife to do something, "Minnie May, for heaven's sake!"

-

There she was, at Aunt Josephines. She stood in front of Miss Barry and Rollings, her butler.

She handed the letter that she spent days writing, the letter where she kept asking her friends to check for any spelling errors. After all, she didn't want to embarrass herself in front of Gilbert.

She was hesitant, not knowing if sending Gilbert this letter was a good idea or not.

He had every right to know about the gold in avonlea, but what if he came back because of it? All of the healing Lavinia had done would be useless. That's how much Gilbert affected her. She wasn't completely over him and his departure, but she was making progress. All that hard work and progress would disappear if she saw him again. She didn't know if she could go through that again.