3~A Train Ride

Sleep has healing powers that are unique only to itself. It returns a tiny part of my soul back to my body and it feels like a freight train of emotions slamming into me. My head pounds and I rub my eyes. I sit up to take in my surroundings: emerald green sheets and a matching comforter; navy blue curtains that look like silk; strange lamps that sport tiny clear rocks, I think they're called crystals. The decadence is patronizing. I already miss my tiny house with its safety and simplicity. I miss the fields. I miss my family. A silent tear falls onto a pillow. I scoff, so this is what a real pillow is.

I take a deep breath. Okay, we need some rules. 

One: do not show anyone else my tears. I can't let anyone think I am weak. 

Two: be kind, when I can. I cannot lose who I am in that arena. I will not become a monster. 

Three: never, ever forget about my family. I will use the memory of them as my reason to stay alive. 

I take another breath. Everything will be okay.

I hop off of my bed and look at the two doors that lead out of my room.

Where do these lead to?

Neither door has handles but have buttons on the walls next to them. I press the button that I assume corresponds with the door on the right. I enter the room. This must be a bathroom. I've only seen them in the Justice building when I've cleaned there. In this one, there's a seat looking thing with a lid. I open it to find water.

Weird.

There's a lever on the back of the seat. I press it out of curiosity. The water spins around and goes down a hole at the bottom.

Upgraded outhouse. Okay. This is actually a nice invention, very clean.

I look around this small room. There's a sink and a tall stall. I step into the stall and look up at a metal thing with little holes in it.

I'm gonna guess water comes out of that too. Judging that I can completely fit in here, I'm gonna guess this where I'm supposed to wash myself.  Upgraded water basin. I'll try this later. 

I walk out of the bathroom and go to the other door that leads out of my room and take a deep breath. I go out. This door opens to a long narrow hallway. I follow it slowly, unsure of where it will take me. I end up at another door that slides open when I press a button.

The door opens to a large room with multiple light green chairs. There's a long table with countless Capitol foods. A dark screen sits on some bookshelves, such a waste of the shelves. Where are the books?

"Ah, there you are. We were wondering when you would wake up." The woman from the Reaping stands from her green chair. She is now in a dark navy dress with a matching butterfly stuck in her hair. She is giving me a smile but I can't tell if it is sincere or mere procedure. "Won't you sit dear?" She sits back down and pats the seat of the chair next to her.

Wren sits in a chair across from the Capitol woman. I decide to sit in the chair next to his. He looks at me. I can tell he has been crying, his eyes are a little red. I try to give him a reassuring smile but when he ignores me, I force myself to look at the Capitol woman instead.

"Hello. I'm Aria. I'm pleased to meet you." I stick out my hand for her to shake.

"We'll aren't you sweet. It's nice to meet you Aria. I'm Ebony." She shakes my hand and looks at me like I'm a puppy. The Capitol must love people with manners. I make a note of that in my head. "I'm sure glad you came out here, Mousey over there, hasn't said a word since we got on this train." She eyes him in disgust. Capitol people must not like introverts. Noted.