Chapter 11

After two days of surveillance, the quartet met at Near's lair.

Kana handed over a bundle of papers to Near.

He read through them and looked up, "We'll go today at ten in the night then."

Lucius turned to Kana with earnest eyes, making her smile as she remembered Light's genuine smile.

At sharp ten in the night, they arrived at their rime suspect's house. Adira was wearing all black so as to blend into the background and not be noticed. Kana, Lucius and Cezar were all in their uniforms, cuffs hanging from their belts.

Near and Adira stayed in Adira's grey Ferrari Roma while the detectives got out from Kana's Defender and waited for the man to arrive.

The black BMW arrived and turned to the driveway. Just as the front wheels touched the gravel of the driveway, a large, black truck came at a high speed and crashed into the BMW. To their surprise and anger, the driver of the truck simply reversed and took off as if nothing happened.

Everyone except for Near rushed to the scene to help the driver of the BMW. Even as they arrived, the man had died from his head injuries and extensive bleeding.

Kana pinched the bridge of her nose as Lucius punched the car in his fury while Cezar watched them.

Adira voiced their thoughts, "We went through all that trouble for this?! We tried so hard not to get either ourselves or him killed but he just died!"

Adira and Near left for the headquarters while the detectives stayed back to report the accident. Once the officers arrived and their statements were taken, they drove to Near's lair.

Slumping on the sofa, Kana covered her face with her hands, "Now what? It's not like we can arrest the deputy director of the NCS."

Near monotonously said, "It's already done. There's nothing we can do."

There was a collective sigh as Cezar nodded, "Yes."

Adira stretched her legs and stood up, "I'm off then. I couldn't get any sleep these days thanks to you. Now at least I can relax. Take care."

As she left, Kana turned to her detectives, "You two can go too. I want to talk to Near about something."

Lucius and Cezar shared a look and went.

The moment they left, she asked, "Think there's another user?"

Near nodded, "Yes."

A worried look passed over her eyes, "Unless he starts mass murdering, we won't be able to capture him."

Despite his passive face, she saw that he was bothered by it as well.

She sighed, "I guess this means that we will have to tell those two about the deathnote."

Suddenly, Roger came into the room with a troubled face, "Near! The leaders of ten countries were just reported to be killed!"

Kana looked at Near with wide eyes, "It's started again!"

Near solemnly nodded, "This one seems to be murdering world leaders instead of criminals. He seems to be smarter than the original Kira. It will be harder to arrest this one."

Kana sighed in exasperation, "Arghhhh!"

As Near sat down in front of the large computer screen, Roger handed him a sheaf of papers.

Kana sat next to Near and looked at them even though she was uncomfortable sitting this close to him.

USA and Russia – assassins who shot them in the chest and later suicided.