Chapter 13

They were sitting together, reading the reports from L's old contacts when Kana checked her watch and stood up.

She turned to Light, "I have to go and check up on how things are at the station."

Light nodded, "Go ahead. We'll read up all the reports."

As she left the building, Roger announced, "Another 10 politicians were reported dead!"

L looked up, seeds of doubt and suspicion growing earnestly in his mind.

A few days later, L was alone in his room thinking back to Kana's convenient disappearances when the deaths occur. He was contemplating what course of action to take when Near shuffled into the room and sat across from him.

Near looked at L with a question in his eyes.

Instantly understanding what he was asking, L answered, "There's something about Kana that is unsettling for you. But you don't know what that is."

Near nodded.

L pressed his thumb against his lips as he thought about it.

Near asked, "You have noticed it too, then."

L glanced at him and nodded, "Yes. I suspect her to be Kira. But I need another perspective on this case."

Near narrowed his eyes, "Are you going to ask Yagami?"

L nodded again, "Yes. Even though this is his sister we are talking about, he will help us without a doubt."

Near questioned, "How can you be so sure?"

A smile curved L's lips, "I know him."

L entered Light's room to see him sitting on his chair, reading some papers.

Light looked up and met those obsidian eyes that he loved with unreadable brown eyes, "L. I know what you want to talk about."

L was not surprised in the least. He had expected as much, knowing Light's brilliant deductive and reasoning skills. He took the spare chair and sat next to Light.

Light looked down, "Kana is the most likely to be Kira."

L nodded.

Light let out a breath he had been holding since coming to that conclusion, "Near feels a little uneasy around her. And I know why. She has many sides to her. The one she uses to seem normal is the side everyone sees. If she is indeed the SS killer, then we are seeing her darker side."

He then looked into the pair of black eyes that were staring intently at him, "She's my sister and I love her. But I promise you that I will help you to catch her."

Kana sat in her room wondering whether the trio noticed her regular vanishing trick. Knowing how logical they are, they are no doubt suspecting her. She pondered about what she could do to possibly extend their little game. She knew each of them like the back of her hand. Near would dearly love to prove that she's as much of a killer as Light. L may have a soft spot for her, but he would readily capture her if she was the killer. Light is her brother and deeply loves her, but he too would arrest her if he thought she was the murderer.

Looking out of her window at the starry night sky, Kana thought back to the day she met Near for the first time.

Opening the door of her bedroom in her new house, she saw a young boy, about 13 years of age, sitting on her bed. He was twirling a strand of white hair between his thumb and fore finger. His large, empty black eyes gazing at her reminded her of L. She bit her lip to prevent herself from bursting into tears while he silently stared at her.