4

The crowd, totally in shock, immediately dispersed from the area, leaving the man on the ground and Brooklyn towering over him, slinky black smoke surrounding her hands. He crab-walked backwards, desperately trying to get away from her, and completely in pain.

Her fingers outstretched, she aimed her hand at his crumpled figure. She flicked her arm up so it was perfectly horizontal and the man shot upwards, parallel to her hand. He was floating in the air like a starfish, awestruck and motionless. Amused, she moved her around around rapidly and the man flailed as he swayed from Brooklyn's powers.

But now, her play time was over. At this point, Angelo had stepped off the playground and started towards Brooklyn at the edge of the field. She immediately whipped her head around to face him. Leaving her left hand holding the man in place, she shot a beam of black onto the ground exactly in front of him. Then she did something even less normal than anything that had just occurred; she winked at him.

Before Angelo could even process anything that had just happened, the blast that landed before him beamed up into a perfect rectangle that was just wide and tall enough so it covered him perfectly. The thing looked like a black Emancipation Grid from Portal. But he realized that this grid that the girl cast at him was a shield - she was trying to protect him. This girl had been following him around for months, and this was the first time she ever actually acknowledged him.

And the winking... what was that about? Was this mysterious person flirting with Angelo? That would make sense, considering she'd been stalking him. But he had actually seen her face! He could make out her deep blue eyes, complimenting her hair, but she was too far away for anything else to be distinguishable.

Angelo tried to look past his safety square to see why he was even being protected, but it followed his head when he tried to peek. So he simply stood there, awestruck, in love, and confused, when he heard a woosh, some vicious growling, screaming, and then silence.