A Payment, A Demon, and A Charm.

(Genres: Mystery, fantasy)

I was walking down the empty, eventide street. Dangling lights flooded the dark street with dim, flickering luminescence. I was on my way to meet someone. I wasn't meeting a date, or going to a party, I was just going to make a trade. I stopped walking and turned to a deep, abyss-black alleyway. I heard a voice that was all too familiar to me.

"Hello, Max."
"Hey, Émporos." I greeted him as I sauntered into the alleyway.
(A/N: Émporos is pronounced EM-pour-rowS)
"Do you have the item I sent you for?"
"Yep. Got it right here." I lifted up a small paper bag I was holding.

"Do bring it." I walked further into the alleyway, slowly feeling the walls fade away. It was pitch black, but I was used to the dark room.

My gaze trailed over to a spotlight. He sat at a wooden table with two stools by it. "Welcome back," he said.

I sat down in the stool opposite of him and held my head in my hand. I tossed the bag onto the table. "Very good." He placed his hand on the bag and slid it towards him. He opened the bag and took out the contents. Inside of the bag was a purple-ish amulet.

"Now, where's my present?" I queried him.
"Patience, patience, for you will be rewarded tomorrow. You have my word."

I stared dully at him. "Mhm. Sure. Don't pull any tricks this time, got it?" I said as I stood up from the table.

"Understood."