Glances

'How far are you?' The text from Eleanor reads as you glance down at the glowing screen of your phone.

"Excuse me, " you begin hesitantly, not wanting to bother your Uber driver, "about how far are we?"

"About 5 minutes." He answers, as he turns down a road leading out of the small snow covered town, nestled between the surrounding mountains.

"Thank you." You say with a small smile, trying hard to contain your excitement as you text Eleanor back.

It wasn't often you felt this way, so excited you could hardly contain yourself. Not only were you on a much needed vacation from work, you were surprising you family friends that you had known for years.

Lately catching up with them hadn't been as easy, seeing as their rock band had taken off and they were off touring the entire country, being booked on late night tv shows, and playing various music festivals.

The last time you had seen them was when they performed at the Austin City Limits Festival over the summer, seeing them that night before they were gone the next morning. It was now the new year, and the tour was done. Eleanor, Jake's girlfriend, and Sam's girlfriend, Meridith had taken it upon themselves to plan a getaway in the mountains of Colorado at a local ski resort.

Knowing your close relationship with the boys, Eleanor and Meridith had asked months in advance if you could come as a surprise. While it took a lot of encouraging to let your boss let you off for two weeks, she finally caved, and you promised to buy her coffee for the two weeks following your return.

So here you were moments away from the lodge, but the excitement you were experiencing wasn't just from seeing old friends. For you had a stronger connection with the of the boys in particular, Josh.

Though you texted all of them to check up from time to time, you were able to keep a pretty steady conversation over the past year. Though you wouldn't speak everyday, it was enough to leave you with a certain kind of feeling you couldn't shake.

Then Austin happened.

You two swore up and down to never speak of it, seeing it was just a drunken mistake. A stolen kiss while no one else had been looking, that left you wanting more than just the random here and there text messages.

"Alrighty, miss." Your driver says, stopping the car in front of a rather large ski lodge.

"Jeez guys.." you mutter, looking up as you exit the car, seeing as the girls had outdone themselves in choosing an Airbnb for the trip.

"Thank you!" You say politely as the man hands your bags from the trunk.

"No problem, have a good trip!" He smiles, waving you off as he gets back into the car, pulling away.

'Here' You briefly text Eleanor, grabbing your things and making your way up the stairs to the huge front door.

Just as you reach the top step, the door swiftly opens, but only halfway as Eleanor pokes her head out.

"Hi!!" She whispers in an excited tone, shuffling from behind the door to give you a quick hug, and help you get your things inside.

"This place is.." you say in a hushed voice, shedding your ski jacket and shoes. You thought wearing it would've been better than packing it...but boarding a flight in Texas with a winter coat on had earned you a few looks.

"Nice, I know. Thank you." She smiles, proud of herself. "C'mon!" She says quietly, grabbing your arm and pulling you towards the massive living room.

"Hey guys.." she begins, as the room fully comes into view "it wasn't the pizza guy, just this person." She tries to say in an annoyed tone, but unable to contain her smile.