Chapter 4

Wendy was sure it was her rotten luck that allowed Jace to sneak past her and Alec, taking away Hodge with him.

The three shadowhunters had just joined Luke Garroway, much to the girl's excitement when she saw the werewolves in front of her, as his pack circled the cowering traitor.
Alec had wrestled away Jace from Hodge as soon as he noticed a severed hand laying on the ground, not that he was truly interested in his health but they still had to find the Mortal Cup.

As Alec tried to take control of the situation and Wendy questioned Luke, something happened to make Jace disappear.

The oldest Lightwood was livid, calling his parabatai repeatedly only to have short and ambiguous answers.

"This is the last time I allow him to get away with his stupid plans" Alec snapped, "Come on. Let's go"

"But where? Did Jace tell you where he brought Hodge?"

"No, Clary and Izzy are waiting for us"

"I like them very much, but I came out here for another reason" Wendy protested.

"Listen, I know you are angry, but right now there is something else we can do to catch up with Jace." Alec said, "What the girls are searching for will lead us closer to Valentine"

"I don't see how Hodge or Jace are involved"

Alec groaned in despair, remembering she knew nothing about all the things that happened ever since Clary appeared.

"It will take me a lifetime to explain everything to you. For now, please, trust me or if you still can't do it, think about Izzy and Clary. They could need some help"

Wendy, despite having spent the night before chatting with him, couldn't say she didn't trust Alec, but it was too early for her to dive blindly in a presumably unauthorized mission.

"What exactly are they searching for? The Mortal Cup?"

"No. It's called the Book of White" Alec replied relieved at least she was following him, even if he suspected wasn't intentional.

"So the Institute has no idea of what you're doing. They gave no authorization for this mission" Wendy commented, "Lydia will kill me"

"My mother and father will gladly assist her to do the same to me" he sent her a weak smile, "It's the reason why we put ourselves in trouble lately"

Wendy shrugged.

"Let's hope this will be the last one, then"

Alec was a bit shocked and grateful she was willing to go along with their plans, even if she was aware they had kept Wendy out of the loop willingly. His eyes fell on the frown she was sporting and he felt a bit guilty. 

"So, that guy was your best friend," he asked abruptly to break the icy silence that fell between them, "I saw him at the party, talking with your sister"

"Oh, they were 'politely' arguing then. She hates him and Paul feels the same" Wendy shrugged, "But I didn't even notice him there"

"He seems very attached to you. Childhood friends?"

"Sort of. We were sent together on our first mission and he saved my life, killing the demon with me sprawled on the ground" she remembered with a soft smile, "I used to trip over anything, but I got better with time"

"You're more graceful now. I saw you on the ground only once in two weeks" Alec attempted to lighten the mood, "I guess I can't talk. Two left feet"

Wendy giggled in amusement as Alec stepped forward to open the front door of Magnus' building.