Chapter 9

Ever since their chat the day after Alec got drunk, everyone in the Institute could see the married couple was trying to make it work.

They still had some awkward moments but it was good to see them talking between missions, going out as soon as they had free time, or training together.

Alec had found out Wendy was lethal with her Jian in hand, despite the clumsiness she displayed usually. She moved unexpectedly with grace and precision, sometimes pushing him into the corner.

Wendy had appreciated his expertise whenever it came to long-range weapons.
He let her try his bow with poor results much to his amusement as she protested Alec was a mean teacher and gave her pointers for her throwing knives.

He said that her technique was already good when she joked about improving her aim, but Wendy aimed for something more accurate.

"I just hope you don't maim me or yourself" he had admitted with a teasing smirk.

That earned him an elbow in the gut.

However, there were still some topics they couldn't touch.

Such as Wendy's frequent missions with Paul.
Alec had admitted he didn't feel comfortable with his presence in the Institute, keeping for himself the conversation he had had with the other shadowhunter.
Whatever they had before the wedding, Alec wanted to be reassured it wouldn't go beyond friendship and promised to do the same.

Izzy had the distinct sensation her brother was feeling some kind of rivalry with Paul, but she said nothing.
She was happy that at least her brother was stepping forward finally and finding some stability.

With the newfound affection, the couple felt some changes in their bedroom too.
They talked about their day under the warm duvet, almost whispering as if there were secrets to keep from the outside world. Alec's hand usually found its way to her waist not really to pull Wendy closer, just because he wanted to feel some contact between them. Meanwhile, the girl traced absentmindedly the rune on his neck with a finger, making him shudder and her giggle at how ticklish Alec was at that point.

The best thing was the mornings when the awkwardness that characterized both of them still had to rear its head. Sometimes they woke up facing each other, noses almost touching with intimate affections, other days Alec found himself wrapped in her arms, head delicately nestled in the crook of Wendy's neck as a whiff of shampoo greeted him.

It was at a languid pace, but they felt more at ease with each other and in control of their emotions with a closed door between their new routine and the prying eyes of the Institute.

After a month of progress, Wendy woke up nestled in Alec's hug. Watching over her shoulder the sight of her sleeping husband made a smile appear on her lips, wondering if that would be the future waiting for them in a couple of years.

"You're staring" Alec groaned still half-asleep.

"I was deciding how to wake you up" she admitted, turning around to face him but not willing to leave his arms.

"Normally, you shove me off the bed"

"Liar! I never did such a thing!"

"Oh, you did. Last Sunday, just because I said we couldn't sleep in"

"Then I was justified"

"What a life awaits for me" Alec smiled sarcastically at his wife, "I wanted a sweet bride and in my bed, there is a skittish kitten"

Wendy pinched his hip viciously before leaving a small peck on Alec's cheek.

That day they couldn't imagine what was about to happen and how much time apart they would spend.