Happenstance

Friday was a disaster. I had planned to get up early and buy two cups of coffee before going into the studio, one for me and one for Miles, and that would give me a reason to chat with him a little, Get the Become A Part Of Miles Kane's Life plan in motion.

I didn't wake up early.

My ringtone woke me up three hours late.

"Hello."

"Are you just waking up?" It was Briggs. He was pissed so I panicked. I cleared my throat.

"No," I lied. "It's just my voice today. I must have caught something. I send you a text, told you I'm sorry I can't make it today."

"No, you didn't."

"Let me check," I pretended to look for a text. "Uh, wrong number. I'm so sorry. You must've waited all morning." I was truly sorry about that.

I coughed for authenticity. "Sorry!"

"You should've called," Briggs said a little less pissed off.

"I know. But-" I had nothing to follow that with so I just started coughing really bad.

"Okey, okay." He seemed to have bought it. "Get some rest, and get well soon."

"Thanks for understanding."
He hung up.

Noon was definitely not a responsible adult's waking time. I decided since I had accidentally got myself a sick day I must use it to do some work on my band's songs.

I ate an apple for breakfast and got my keyboard out. A piano would have been better but I had left mine in Chicago. The moving price was so high, I could buy a new one here but I hadn't got around to doing so yet.

Everything was going smoothly in the Green Room (the room we had been working in on Thursday and had a huge green sofa in it.) until I heard a knock on the door but I wasn't sure with all the noise going around and my headphones so I didn't bother getting up.

"It's open." I waited a few seconds for a door opening sound but there was nothing so I went back to work, whistling, humming, writing down, playing with the keys and so forth and so back at some point I got really into it, singing almost the whole song before a voice threw me off.

"You sound pretty fine." His voice came from my right. He was sitting on the green sofa, arms crossed. Is he a ninja or something? How did I not hear him, again? There was a small plastic bag beside him with pharmacy signs on the contents.

Shit! Did Miles think I'm sick? And he had come here to take care of me? My insides turned to mush at that thought. But I wasn't really sick, well physically, mentally I definitely had a problem with lying like that this morning.

"I thought you were sick." He added.

"Yeah." I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to lie. "I took some pills."

Mentally sick, that's why.

He uncrossed his arms and took off his sunglasses.

"Sorry," he said. "Briggs was all skeptical of you calling sick and I just..."

"It's okay." I hate myself.

"I got you some stuff."

"You shouldn't have."

There was a long moment of silence as he looked at me and then around the room.

"I'd better get going then."

He didn't even get up. He was sitting, looking at me for a reason to stay, Or I was a hopeful romantic.

"Stay!" I almost shouted. "I need your opinion on this."