sixty-one.

Waking up felt like a dream.

In fact, I woke up feeling the best I've ever felt in a long time. I woke up with a feeling of happiness coursing through me that made me not want to leave bed and instead, push aside all my worries of the day just so I can stay in bed and feel this longer.

And I know exactly where the happiness is stemming from.

It's stemming from the girl who's currently wrapped up in my arms as we've eliminated all space between the two of us, desperate to stay close to one another after the most incredible night. A night I'll hold onto for the rest of my life.

It doesn't feel real.

As the memories cloud my vision, I pull Lila closer to me, needing to hold her close as I've never been so crazy for someone. I'm terrified if I don't hold her close, she'll slip away. I need to hold her close every damn opportunity I have because we only have two more weeks to feel like this before we're going to go through something no couple should ever go through.

Something that no one like Lila James should ever go through.

I wish I could shield her from the horrors of war and hide her from everything while it all plays out but I know that's not our reality. As fucked up as it is, this is our reality, and this is what was meant for the two of us.

That's something I have to accept.

When I look at Lila, I see a girl who doesn't deserve to be introduced to something so awful and so horrible. At the same time though, I see a girl who has worked her ass off to get to that point and who is absolutely ready to conquer it. I have full confidence in her capability as I know she's put herself through hell in order to prepare herself for the nightmare to come.

It's just a bump in the road the two of us have to get past. Then, we can live the happily ever after that was destined for us the second that we met.

The thought is enough to make me tug her closer to me as I know our happily ever after will be much more beautiful than the life we're living here. It'll consist of being able to show our affection towards one another in everything we do, as opposed to just being able to do so behind closed doors.

On top of that, we'll be able to go out to dinner and dress up nice and meet each other's families and do things that make us happy. We won't have these looming thoughts of war present in everything we do as we train ourselves mentally and physically.

I can't wait to live life normally together.

The thoughts are enough to make me pull her closer to me, kissing the top of her head as I know I should probably get out of bed and get my day started but not wanting to as I'd rather stay like this for as long as I can. I want to appreciate this moment and I certainly want her to wake up in my arms after last night.

The tug of her body seems to jolt her slightly as she cuddles herself closer to me, digging her face further against my chest as I feel her lips curl up slightly.

I can't help but mirror her actions, smiling just as she is.

"Please don't get up," Lila murmurs against my chest, moving her head slightly as if rubbing her forehead against it.

"I'm not going to, baby," I promise, dragging the tips of my fingers along her back in order to soothe her. "Not yet, at least."

Lila presses a soft kiss to my chest, the touch hardly there as I close my eyes in response, replaying the feeling over and over again as the feeling is intensified by my own lust.

"Can we cancel today?" Lila asks, no doubt referring to training and everything as I'm sure she'd much rather stay here with me, as well.

I chuckle, "Wouldn't that be nice?"