Chaper 9:

Catherine, Dowager Queen Zulqurnain POV

Our past was flooded with grief, lose and darkness. He was raised under my strict vigilance and discipline. He was well rehearsed in every possible manner a man can be; educated and prepared to fulfill what he was destined to become one day.

I couldn't be more proud of all his achievements. It had taken years and years of hardships and determination to make all this a reality. I had watched him closely, the struggle he had endured was massive and the path we took was not easy. The ambition that we shared was a deadly one. But in life I had long learned a lesson, and I passed that lesson onto my only surviving son.

"One should never let go of something what is rightfully theirs."

I learned my lessons through tragedy and loss. But my son will learn them and apply them to it's full advantage. He was a quick learner and I thanked the Creator on every path of my way for granting me with such a blessing when I was reduced to Nothingness in life.

Even today, I am visited by the ghosts of the past. They leave my heart heavy with sorrow. There are some wounds that leave scars even after healing. It is such a pity that we can not forget what dread our hearts have felt and witnessed.

I continued performing my duties. I followed my routine and my role as Mother Queen remained unaltered. I had doubts and insecurities about his marriage. She was one head-strong woman that I had ever met. And above all this, she had a capability to control, rule and administer. These were admirable qualities as long as they would not threaten to weaken my own authority.

She was not blessed with a spellbound beauty. But her intellect and skills remained unparallelled. She was an excellent swordsmen and archer. From what I heard from my various sources, she was a shrewed leader of her tribe. The recent invasion from the neighbouring tribe had complied her for a counter-attack, this resulted in the expansion of the territories. Now she could be known as the most powerful woman to rule the entire southern territories as well as the plains that streched along the two rivers.

When Fredrick first expressed his growing interest in her I was alarmed. A union of such kind could result in a potential thread from the growing oppositions. From the act of marriage, it will not only be a union of the two Royal Houses but also an expansion of our Kingdom. It was a risky business, since many others will develop insecurities due this expansion. This will also show that we supported her schemes and her invasions .

Then I slowly came to realise how important it will be to unite them under such circumtances. She was both politically and personally compatible towards him. They were both ambitious and just. They had both had been to wars and knew all tactics. He could provide her with a platform to practice powers, the likes she could never have dreamed of. And in return, he needed her to provide him with a Vision to progress and also heirs. She was a support that he needed at that time.

My estimations were to be tested. I hadn't met her personally therefore, I did not had the right to pass my final judgement. Our first meeting took place during a Council meeting where trade and commerce was the prime agenda of the discussions. By the end of the lengthy sessions we finally had our first conversation.

She carried herself with grace and confidence. She was polite, honest and calculating. She never once expressed herself more than what was required. And that one quality I found most inspiring. I was convinced from the moment I saw her negotiating that she was far more kind-hearted and humble than she allowed herself to be known.

But she was not without flaws. I found hard to find faults in her within the first few meetings. This fact pleased me. I hated to admit it aloud before my son. I saw a sense of longing in his eyes, he waited impatiently before me, to announce my approval that night.