TWELVE

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

"Wow, this is so cool! Look at all of 'em." Sugino says as he looks at four different types of bugs in the forest around the E-class building.

"Uh, remind me again what we're doing out here." Nagisa stood behind Sugino holding a bug container.

"Oh. Well, I'm not about to let the guys in my neighborhood catch me collecting insects. Sorry. At heart I'm a city boy. That doesn't mean nature doesn't fascinate me, though. Karma showed me this tree a few weeks ago after school. Pretty cool."

Sugino turns around to face the tree again"No offense, but it's weird that you came along with us, Maehara. Never would've pegged you for the entomologist type."

"I figured, what the heck. Okinawa's coming, up we don't wanna be unprepared. Think about it, my friend. What's the one thing we'll need the most of?" Maehara asks.

"I dunno know." Sugino answers.

"Cold hard cash!" Maehara yells "we're gonna be up to our eyeballs in bikini-clad babes, and that talon ain't cheap! Now that little runt they're ain't worth much, but. . . we track down a stag beetle? Dude! We are talking' mucho dinero! Seriously, have you even seen what they go for online? Easily enough to score a four-star dinner and kick it poolside under an umbrella with the hottie of your choice!"

"I get the feeling he's not really focused on what the trip is supposed to be about." Sugino says.

"Yeah. His idea of a good time seems a little mature for his age." Nagisa said.

Maehara runs off passing by a tree where Kurahashi was sitting on a branch "It's not gonna work."

"Stag beetles are pretty old news."

"Hey!" Maehara stops and calls out to her.

"Hi, guys. Tryin' scrape up some spending money for our getaway?"

"Maybe. What do you know about stag beetle trends?" Sugino and Nagisa walk over to Maehara to meet up with Kurahashi.

Kurahashi climbs down from the tree "Well. They were worth a ton a few years ago, but not so much, recently. Artificial breeding caused supply to outweigh demand. Now a dozen aren't with a third of what one used to bring in."

Maehara's eyes widen "Wha? The Great Stag Beetle Crash was a real thing? But my buddy said the insect-to-hot-babe ratio was one to one."

"Your buddy's out of it, Casanova. Girls have always been more expensive than that."

"You sure know a lot about bugs. Never thought that'd be your thing." Sugino points out.

"Oh. every living creature's my thing." Kurahashi states "I know! Since we're all here, let's go bug hunting together! With all four of us looking, I bet we'll find a whole bunch!"