Chapter 19

tw: homophobic comments/slurs

"Hello Bean," Cassey smiled when Mei came in through the door of the café. Today she wore a black flannel, white t-shirt, light blue jeans and combat boots. Cas noticed something new, rings in her fingers. Not only the ace one she'd wore to the first date, but also another wooden one on the thumb.

"Bean?" Mei asked, her lips curling up in a smile.

"Yeah, Bean! Because you're small and cute and because you love your black coffee. And coffee comes from beans. Therefore, your new nickname is Bean!"

"Aww, cute!" Mei laughed, making the butterflies on Cassey's stomach flutter, "I don't have any nickname thought for you."

"Its fine lol. Nicknames aren't thought of, they are created from the deepest of your heart, either from the pure magic of imagination and word association or from funny situations. I think yours is a combination between the two!"

"Wow, Cas, I didn't know you were a poet!"

"Simply one of my natural talents, I guess. Just wait a sec, I'll get your coffee!" Cassey turned towards the kitchen, seeing Mei wave with the corner of their eye.

Minutes later, Cas had not only a black coffee on their hand, but also a caramel latte. They went with Mei, handed her her coffee, grabbed her free hand, and started to go towards the door.

"Come! I'm gonna show you something!"

"But it's only 7:40! Your shift doesn't end for a couple more hours!" Mei exclaimed, following them.

"I convinced my pal Adrian to cover for me, he's the best. Now come, the shop closes soon!"

"Where are you taking me?" Mei asked, the question being followed with a laugh

"It's a surprise! Trust me, it's gonna be good, I promise."

"Alright, I trust you."

...

Mei followed Cassey through the streets of the early night, wondering where they were taking her. After the first few turns, their pace slowed down, they both started to drink form their drinks. It was warm, nice, sweet... delicious. Cas talked about their day, about the weird clients they had at the café, while Mei told them about the latest paintings, how she had finished the cup one and had started a new one, well, better said continued with one she'd abandoned a few weeks ago. Mei had a very fluid painting schedule, sometimes she'd finish something on the go, others it'll take her months to even get started.

The painting she was attempting to finish now was inspired by flashing sensations: the smell of fresh coffee, the sound of paper whispering to you when you crumbled them, a few bubbles, the reflection of the light on hair, etc. the painting itself was of a letter being read at the edge of a candle, all dark but with powerful reds and blues, the letter close enough to burn with the flames, a white glove holding the letter, a delicate grip, with fear of ruining the fragile surface. Mei had started painting it weeks ago, after a conversation through text she had with Cassey, encapsulating the feeling she'd felt, but ran out of inspiration and motivating to draw until a few days ago.

Not after long, they've arrived to the surprise location: a flower shop. It was big, through the window display you could see hundreds different plants. Cassey signed Mei to get in through the door, before getting in themselves.

Mei followed, when the door opened and closed, the sound of little bells tingled. She looked up at the bells and smiled.

"Ey, Mei, come 'ere!" Mei turned and saw that Cas was next to the only other person in the shop: Haze, "I told ya I'd take you here for some flowers, so here we are!"