13

━━━━━━━━━━
❝ no use in using patience ❞
━━━━━━━━━━

two weeks later

°•*⁀➷*·˚

jamie never does anything without being 100% sure she wants to do it. but when she finds herself hanging out with her boyfriend at his place, she isn't sure that she wants to do this. all she knows is that it's probably for the better.

"francis?" she says, sitting up on the couch, next to him.

francis turns his attention to jamie, "hm?"

"i think...we should talk."

francis nods, giving her a small, reassuring smile.

"so, i... i don't know how to say this. i've tried to think of a way to say this without hurting you but it's just going to go to shit, no matter which way i tell you."

his small smile drops and he looks confused. "it's okay, you can tell me."

"i-i don't... i think we should break up." her eyes sting from a few tears but she tried her best to hold them back.

"what?"

"i-" she takes a deep breath and carries on. "i don't think i love you anymore. i mean, i did. i did love you. and i still do, i think. but the way i love you now isn't the way i loved you before." a tear slips from her eyes and she looks down at her hands, this was so much harder than she thought it would be. she still loves him to bits, but whatever she's feeling right now isn't because her heart is broken, it's because she doesn't want to hurt him.

"jamie-" she looks up at him and his expression is full of hurt. "how can you...i thought we were happy?"

"we were. we were happy." she wants to cry, this isn't going well. then again, how can she expect it to? he just needs to understand that he has nothing to do with her change of heart. "you're perfect. you always have been. the perfect friend, the perfect boyfriend, the perfect first love. perfect. no one can ever hold a candle to how perfect you've been."

"right. okay." his voice is full of pain and hurt and it crushes her to know that she caused it. "so you're breaking up with me?"

"i'm so sorry." she whispers.

"why? i-i don't understand. i thought you loved me-you said you loved me."

"i did. when i said i loved you, i meant it. every single time." at some point, francis starts crying, but she isn't really sure when. "but if i say it to you now, i would be lying."

she knows why she doesn't feel the same way about him now. at some point, she developed a small crush on someone else. at the time it was insignificant and she still loved francis, but gradually, that crush turned into something more. francis was at that point, practically shoved out of the picture.

"do you want to?"

the sudden question confuses her. "what?"

"do you want to break up with me?" francis repeats.

"it's not that simple-"