Welcome to Dangan Island!: Part 3

"Hey!"

...

"Hey, can you hear me?"

...

"Are you awake now? You must be exhausted

"Are you awake now? You must be exhausted...I know I am...I mean, with all that crazy stuff that just happened..."

...

"Can you hear me!? Hello!?"

Before she had realized it, Mahiru found herself in a trance. The confusion and hopelessness to understand the situation had gotten to her, to the point where now she was focusing entirely on her interior conflict. This meant that it took her a moment to noticed the small girl with the kimono waving her hand in front of her face, checking if she was ok.

Mahiru forced herself back to reality, standing up and bowing her head slightly as an apology to the girl. This whole time, she had been far too focused on Usami, the rabbit plush, that this was the first chance she actually was getting to see the girl in full. She was an extremely petite, slender girl with a young appearance. In fact, her voice and her appearance didn't give the impression of a High Schooler at all. She had long blonde hair that was tied into thick, curved twin tails with two yellow-green ribbons, a white cat face accessory pinned in the center. Her bangs were curled and swept to the right, with two locks of chin-length hair curling outwards and framing her face. She had large, round, pale orange eyes, and her clothes consisted of a traditional orange furisode kimono with a floral print pattern that consisted of white and yellow blossoms, and a yellow-green obi sash printed with tiny, darker yellow-green cat head silhouettes tied around her waist and secured with a bow at the back. She also wore zori sandals with orange straps.

"You don't need to bow to me," she pouted "I'm just checking if you're ok. If I had a marker, I would probably have drawn on your face while you were like that. You should be more careful."

"I...don't know how I should respond to that," Mahiru held her head in her hands "sorry if it looked like I was slacking off...I'm just trying to get this whole situation through my head."

"Yeah, same here. To be honest I'm jealous you could find the time to relax like this," the kimono clad girl said "I still can't figure out what's with this place. That...THING said that we were on a tropical island, and yeah, it totally looks the part...But still..."

Mahiru thought the girl was right to be suspicious. Golden sand...blue sea...strong, bright sunlight blazing down upon them...and a gentle sea breeze caressing their skin...

She had no idea what was going on. She was supposed to be at Hope's Peak Academy. So why was she here? The one thing she knew for sure.

"Sorry," Mahiru shook her head "I didn't mean to slack off...Um...Actually, I don't think I caught your name, or the name of anyone else yet..."

"Huh? Oh, yeah!" the small girl exclaimed "I don't think I know yours either. To be honest, I only came over because you seem reliable. Who might you be?"