Destination Despair: Part 12 [Daily Life END]

As she kept taking more and more photos of her classmates, Mahiru sat down and took a break for herself. As she drunk from her flask, she took out her camera and scrolled through the photos she'd taken.

She smiled. She had gotten some good one's. Basically everyone was smiling happily. As she was distracted, she suddenly felt someone's presence next to her. She turned to see Hajime looking over her shoulder at the photos.

"Nagito was right," he said "you really are good at this."

"Thanks," she said "I get it from my Mom you know?

"Really?" he asked "she's a photographer too?"

"She's on a whole different level," Mahiru smiled, "she goes off to other countries and photographs wars for newspapers. She risks her life every day and she doesn't get nearly enough credit for it."

At the mention of her mother, Mahiru's flicking through the photos slowed. When was the last time she'd actually spoken to her parents? Would she ever get the chance again?

"Do you miss her?" Hajime asked, somehow noticing this. Mahiru nodded.

"Yes," she said "but...we don't talk very often anyway because she's always busy with work and...my dad doesn't take care of the house...Th-That's not important right now though!"

Hajime sighed, deciding his best course of action would be to not press it.

"Are you nervous?" he asked "even if the happy faces make it easy to forget, we are still in the killing game and...there is still speculation of a traitor you know?"

"You still believe there's a traitor?" Mahiru asked. Hajime shook his head.

"It's not just belief, it's more that..." he spoke slowly "this is all just incomprehensible thinking but...if there really is a traitor, it would have to be someone who stands out, right? Who could stand out more than the one guy on the island who doesn't remember his Ultimate Talent."

Mahiru looked at the look of doubt and sadness of Hajime's face; one of apathy and self-loathing. This look faded immediately when she lightly punched him in the side.

"Ow! What was that for!?" he asked.

"That's the silliest idea I've ever heard," Mahiru frowned at him "if you really were a traitor to the group, why would you tell me this?"

"That...good point," Hajime considered "I'm just not sure if I can even trust myself while I'm on this island. Maybe I am the traitor and just don't know it...That's what I mean."

"That's even MORE silly," Mahiru told him "need I remind you who it was that helped me and the girls out today recieving almost nothing in return? If there was someone working against us, I'd expect them to be a little more selfish."

"You know...I am at least happy..." Hajime smiled, "happy that you're at least willing to trust me."

He was stunned when Mahiru suddenly took a photo of him.

"There!" she smiled, "another smile for the collection.~"

Hajime chuckled and shook his head in embarrassment. He looked back out over the rest of the class having fun.

"This is...a strange feeling..." he admitted, "when we came to this island, I was angry at how much fun everyone seemed to be having...but now..."

"Now you're just glad, right? Same here," Mahiru smiled "you feel reassured now. We really are comrades, fighting together...This solidarity sure is-"

Mahiru unfortunately wasn't able to finish this sentence, because all of a sudden, a loud groaning noise cut their discussion short. Said loud groaning came from Nekomaru. Looking over at him, Mahiru saw that his face had gone pale and his brow had been furrowed.