Destination Despair: Part 16 [Deadly Life]

"So?" Hiyoko asked after the fact, "what do we do now? Is there anything else we can investigate in this room?"

"Not this room necessarily..." Mahiru said, "but if you ask me, I think we should consider the entire building as the crime scene. We'll need to go out and investigate the rest of the building."

"Sounds like a drag...but I get it," Hiyoko pouted, "so what do we do? Split up?"

"Actually, I don't think that's a good idea. I doubt anyone would openly speak to either of us if we started asking questions on our own," Mahiru considered, "so could you put up with me for a little longer?"

"To be honest?" Hiyoko reached out and took Mahiru's hand, "you're probably the only person here that I CAN put up with. So? Where do we start?"

"Remember that conversation we were having with Nagito and Hajime? About how no one could see, but someone might have heard?" Mahiru reminded her, "I've got an idea...we need to talk to Ibuki."

"Every great detective knows you can't have a proper investigation without lots of legwork!" the spunky musician told them, running on the spot when they approached her, "which is why mama's usin' her legs! She's been idly walking up and down this corridor!"

"So, slacking off basically?" Hiyoko frowned at her. "you're just being useless on purpose."

"Well, that's about to change...hopefully," even Mahiru was beginning to have her doubts at this point "Ibuki. You might know something about the blackout."

"Eh!?" Ibuki's eyes widened, "whyzat then?"

"Ok, so I might be pushing it a little..." Mahiru told her, "but as a musician, how good are your ears?"

"Oho! I'm SOO glad you asked!" Ibuki winked, "I've got good looks, superb style, and a perfect personality, but alongside that, my high-level hearing is my best trait!"

"Alright, then prove it," Mahiru decided to go the competitive route, "what did you hear during the blackout?"

"Quoi?" Ibuki tilted her head cutely.

"When the lights went down, no one saw anything, but if your hearing is so "high-level" then perhaps you heard what everyone was saying, right?" Mahiru asked again, "do you think you can tell who was saying what, even in the darkness Ibuki?"

"Oh, I see! Well then, no need to worry! It's gonna be breakfast for me!" Ibuki held her head high narcesistically.

"Wh-What does that even mean?" Hiyoko asked.

"Well, you know how they say if something's easy, then it's a "piece of cake?" Well, Ibuki Mioda stuffs her face full of pieces of cake every morning! Strawberry Shortcake to be exact! So instead of being a piece of cake, for Ibuki, it's breakfast!"

"Oh I get it! I think?" Hiyoko scratched her head.

"Not that that's unexpected from you, but are you sure Strawberry Shortcake is suitable for breakfast?" Mahiru asked.

"Of course it is! I wouldn't think of having any other kind of cake to eat for breakfast!" she proclaimed proudly.

"I wanna eat cake for breakfast..." Hiyoko pouted.

"No that's not-Oh whatever!" Mahiru gave up, "could you please just tell me what you heard?"

"Gladly!" Ibuki squealed excitedly, "Ibuki's been waiting for something to sink her teeth into! And I guess it's not gonna be Strawberry Shortcake!"

"Make yourself useful, and I'll make you all the Strawberry Shortcake you could want," Mahiru frowned, "just hurry up!" 

"Leet's seeee..." Ibuki started to play with her horns as she thought back to the blackout, "the first thing that I heard was..."Wh-What the hell!?" and judging from the voice, I think it was Hajime..."