YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE (HAUNTED)

Tammy sighed in relief as the last cardboard box was delivered by the packers and movers. The move had been tough, she had never thought she would have to leave all that was dear to her behind and start afresh at the age of 35. Life had been unfair not only to her but to almost everyone in the world post the Covid pandemic. 

That is how the world has become, before and post the pandemic. Tammy's husband was amongst the millions of people who had died due to Covid. Tammy's world was shattered when he died, Tammy had been a homemaker for the last 9 years. When John passed, Tammy and her daughter Britta were left alone and bankrupt. All their savings had gone into John's treatment and with the job market sulking, Tammy was desperate for any employment she could get. She had a masters in archaeology & she finally found an opportunity with the archaeological department of India. 

She and Britta had to uproot their whole lives and move to a remote town in Rajasthan, India. She could not leave 4 year old Britta alone back in the US and she had no living relative left who was willing to step up. "Mom, I miss home", Britta tugged at her. "Me too baby, but its an opportunity for us to start anew. Mommy grew up here in India, we will be fine, I promise." Tammy said with more confidence than she really felt. 

Tammy was born and brought up in India but she never got along with her own parents. They wanted to marry her off at 14 because that is what girls in their society were expected to do. She did not want to live a life like that, so she packed her bags and ran away one night. She went to Mumbai and lived with a friend who had also run away like her years ago. The two of them shared a tiny room with 6 other girls but Tammy was happier here than she was in her palatial house back in the village. 

Luck smiled at her and Tammy got many modelling assignments. She was groomed and trained to be one of the best teenage models there ever was. She was in the ads for everything ranging from lip balms to kitchen appliances. Her parents found out and came looking for her. They  threatened to kill her for spoiling their reputation and gave her the last chance to go back home with them. She was terrified so she left her flourishing career as a model and with all the money she had saved she went to the US on a student VISA. She studied archaeology and in a couple of years she was stable again. She worked as a waitress and a gym trainer to make up for living costs and studied in college in parallel.

She met John in the gym when she was still a student. John was older but he gave Tammy the security and love she had been bereft of all her life. They got married soon after Tammy completed her studies but she never really worked a job. John was the provider and Tammy was the homemaker. She loved taking care of him and the house and when Britta came along, they were the happiest. When John died, Tammy had nothing left and she was forced to come back to India for the job.

Now siting in this old bungalow with her daughter in the deserts of Rajasthan, Tammy was gathering all her courage. The plan was to spend one year at this job, save her money, wait for job market to stabilise and then go back home to US. Britta's school was online due to Covid, so she could take the classes from here. She spent the rest of the day unpacking the boxes and the luggage. There was not much and she had the help of the cook and the maid to get it done by evening.  

The maid looked nervous, when Tammy asked why, she said that she is afraid of the dark. Tammy offered her to stay the night with them but she declined and said she can't stay the night at this old bungalow. Then looking scared, she said timidly: " Didi be careful. This Bungalow has a murderous past. Don't step out of your room even if you hear anything and please sleep with your daughter. Don't leave her alone." Before Tammy could ask any further questions, the maid hurried away with the cook to go home. 

Tired from the day's activities, Tammy poured a glass of wine for herself. "Mom can you please ask the old lady to not tug at my hair. It hurts" Britta called out to Tammy from her room upstairs. Tammy was shocked, was there an intruder? She picked up a knife from the kitchen and hurried upstairs to her daughter. She could not see anyone else in the room, just her daughter tucked in bed. She kept the knife aside and sighed, " There is no one here Britta. Why do you have to scare mumma like that?"