Seclusion

After speaking with Ye Hua, Mo Yuan sealed himself back in his cave and concentrated on stabilizing his energy and regaining his strength. Even though the conversation with his brother alleviated some of his concerns, Mo Yuan 's constant wondering thoughts of Bai Qian were distracting to say the least.

In all his life, he could count on his fingers the few people capable of stirring his emotions not because he couldn't feel but because he swore to remain neutral. It was also precisely the reason he took his vow of celibacy in order to maintain world peace and to remain unbiased when it came to protecting the realms. Fate decided to laugh at his plans when they sent Bai Qian to him.

The day he laid eyes on her was the same day nothing would ever be the same again, at least not for him. One look at those shiny, bright eyes, her delicate features, and innocent face caused his heart to waver for the first time in a long time. From then on his affections grew the more time they spent together. Her easy smiles and touches began to make him crave a deeper connection, a soul connection he only dreamed of. Those thoughts were dangerous considering she was his student and therefore under his protection. So, in the beginning he desperately tried to suppress the fondness in his heart, which he knew would grow into something more if he didn't nip it in the bud. He went into a state of deep meditation to conquer his heart in hopes of letting go of her hold on him.

That was until he sensed her troubles in the Ghost realm. The thought of losing her made him abandon all notions of overcoming his feelings that when he took those ascension bolts for her, he did it as a man protecting the woman he loved.

It was this thought that caused Mo Yuan to wonder exactly where and precisely when Shi Qi became Bai Qian in his heart. Was it possibly to pinpoint the moment you fell in love with someone? Instead of worrying about how her mortal trial was going, Mo Yuan decided to find the answer to this question.

His newly accepted disciple was truly daring to talk behind his back with that old Phoenix.

"But he really doesn't look like the God of War." Mo Yuan heard the end of her sentence as he walked up behind the two of them.

"How do I not look like the God of War?" He spoke up causing her to whirl around with her arms raised in respect peering up at him curiously with her naïve round eyes as if unable to comprehend something.

"Shifu, your features are so delicate." She began to his amusement. "You're like one of those flower boys in those plays who lured young maidens secretly to the back gardens."

The expression on her face morphed to concern and bewilderment as she contemplated out loud, "How could you wield the Sword of the Yellow Emperor?"

Mo Yuan kept his expression as neutral as possible, unable to decide whether he should be flattered or offended. It's been ages since any woman much less a girl told him he looked only handsome enough to trick ladies into remote corners to have his way, but to say it with a straight face to the most revered God was nothing short of bold.

He regarded her with a little shock when he asked, "Did you just call me a flower boy?"

With her furrowed brows she nodded with a soft affirmative 'hmm'. Her straightforward demeanor while being completely innocent in her appraisal was like breathing in fresh air. So, Mo Yuan took it as a compliment and smiled with happy amusement.

"Mo Yuan ah, Mo Yuan, I've sent you a great disciple." Zhe Yan teased with a returning smile of his own. "You're in for some fun."

Mo Yuan didn't know if fun was the correct word because for the first time in a dozen millennia he felt a stirring in his heart.