FOUR. you're still a traitor

- ˏˋ  ✎  ˊˎ -

- ˏˋ  ✎  ˊˎ -

1998, NOVI GRAD, SOKOVIA

━━ AFTER GRABBING A RED, RUBBER BALL FROM HER HOUSE, Wanda happily joined Malia on the girl's front porch. "Где Пьетро?" (Where's Pietro?) The younger girl questioned as she held Wanda's hand.

"Делать домашнее задание. Он не сделал этого, когда должен был, и теперь у него проблемы." (Doing homework. He didn't do it when he was supposed to, and now he's in trouble.) Wanda responded, leading Malia into the park.

"Ну почему он просто не сделал этого?" (Well, why didn't he just do it?) The curly-haired girl looked up at her older cousin, who just shrugged.

"Можно подумать, что он сделал бы это," (You'd think that he'd do that,) She tossed the ball to Malia. "Но в этом слишком много смысла." (But that just makes too much sense.)

The two girls spent two hours in the park, climbing trees, playing catch, and talking. Malia's favorite part was when the look of sheer terror on Wanda's face when she picked up a non-poisonous snake.

Wanda's favorite part was when Malia put it down.

As they strolled back to Wanda's apartment, they would throw the ball to each other, backing away from each other between throws. Malia seemed to throw the ball too far and too fast.

Wanda raised her hands to catch it, but the ball whizzed right past her fingertips...

...And into the stained glass of a synagogue window.

Malia's eyes widened as she covered her mouth in shock. Wanda, after hearing the sound of glass breaking, looked to the window. "Малия, какого черта?!" (Malia, what the heck?!) The older Romani girl let out in shock.

Looking back to Malia, she realized that the young girl was close to tears. Letting out a tired sigh, she began to walk into the open door of the church.

"Радуйся, что я люблю тебя!" (Be glad that I love you!) Wanda let out loudly before disappearing into the synagogue.

A few minutes passed, the curly-haired girl anxiously waiting for her cousin to return. When she did, Malia ran over, looking up at her older cousin. "Ну, что они сказали?" (Well? What did they say?)