I thought you were just a cat

The world is always so big when I'm a cat.  It was so scary the first time, but I've gotten used to it!..mostly.    Sometimes I'm almost stepped on, or even taken home!!! But I'm super quick, and I sprint outta there as fast as my lil legs can take me!!

Oh, I'm sorry, I should introduce myself!  I'm Brianne, but most call me cocoa!  Im the little brown kitty you see scurrying around during the evening!

The truth is, I'm a witch.  Oh no, not the scary kind!  I just have magical abilities is all!  I use them for good, promise.  I had to go through allll sorts of training in order to become one, and once I graduated, I was given 3 gifts!

The ability to preform magic whenever I wanted, so long as it was good, and could help others.

A black cat familiar.

And an animal form!  The day I graduated, I transformed for the first time! 

After I graduated, I moved to a big city, where I have a small herbal and crystal shop that I own.  I make sure to preform small magic on all of my items, so they bring good luck and peace towards all that own them.

My little kitty Jiji is the one who sits on the windowsill, greeting customers, or having a nap.  I named him after my favorite movie growing up.

Sometimes I run around on the balcony of this realllly tall building.  There's a little white kitty on that floor, and I love to play with her!  She's very nice, and says her human treats her like a princess! She's very proper sometimes, so she must come from a rich home. I'm just glad she's happy.

One day though, her human came home early and spotted me. I was so scared, he looked so big and scary! But all he did was bend down and pat my head, complimenting me on my color and fur. He turned out to be really sweet.

And ever since then, I've been coming around much more often!

One day, I notice he's been feeling really down. He doesn't seem as happy, and he's been pacing around a lot. I kept watching as the days dragged on, and one day I couldn't watch anymore. I turned into a human and sat on his patio, with his cat at my feet. When he came in, he freaked out, but I simply turned into the brown kitty he was used to, before turning back.

"You...you're human?"

"Nope, a witch" I said with a small giggle.

"Those don't exist"

"Yes they do, I'm right infront of you silly!"

"...I must be seeing things"

I only giggled, and simply told him that witches are very rare to meet, and often aren't so open about who they are due to very harmful prejudices. He only nodded, curious to know more. So we talked, and talked and talked, and he seemed even nicer than when I was a cat! Maybe it's because I got to know him better as a human.

I gave him a little potion, and told him to take a little sip whenever he was feeling icky, or upset, and that it would help. He thanked me, and I waved goodbye for the day.

I still come to visit him often, and we've grown super close as time has gone on. I usually give him a little more potion every once in a while, and he says he's used it less and less since we've been hanging out. I smile every time and tell him that it's good, and that he's much cuter when he's happy. He always seems to smile at that.

One day, we were watching the stars together, and I confessed a secret:

"The potion wasn't really magic. At least, not the way I said it was"

"What do you mean?"

"It was just water with a little bit of sugar, and a tiny bit of dye. I did put good intentions into it, but nothing more than that. The potion itself wasn't magical. It was all you"

"I'm not sure I understand"

I smiled and turned to him, holding his hand.

"You made the ick go away all by yourself"

He stayed quiet, before turning to me and smiling.

"No Brianne, I think you really did do something magic"

"But I swear I didn't use any of my powers-"

"No no...your friendship...your kindness. That magic. That's what helped me feel better"

I never really thought about it like that. When you have magical abilities, it tends to overshadow the simple magic of a kind word, phrase, or gesture. But I suppose to humans, all of those things are their magic.

And you know what, I think I like that magic more.