30. SELF-ABSORBED

The life you live through, is never not free from problems. You do things people don't understand, and when they think they understand, they actually misunderstand. No one knows what you're doing except yourself, but sometimes, you also have no idea what you're doing.

"Pardon?" Jaxon asked back, a scoff appearing from his lips, "Escape? Or lead me to a trap?"

"Do you need a lecture on English?" she asked, "I'm here to help you escape," she repeated, more firm this time.

"What makes you think I trust you?" he asked back, approaching her.

Jaxon was apparently the tallest out of the trio, and Jayce was by a slight taller than Amber, but in the bigger picture, he was tall enough that Amber just reached in between his neck and shoulder.

"I have Ashton's lighter with me, and I have everything I need to cover up my mess," he explained, "I'll burn the school and make it look like Ashton did it,"

Amber sighed, "That sounds stupid. Why the hell would he burn the school?"

"Everyone wants to burn the school," Jaxon replied.

"Look, I'm the only chance you have left, if you do want to escape and start a new life," Amber replied.

"I killed Eric, the person you liked," he tried to scare her off, "And now you're here, willing to help me?"

"Yes,"

"Are you not catching the reason why I don't trust you? When I thought Ashton could be 'trusted', I nearly fell into a huge bunch of traps and now I'm trying to escape and yet you stand here, in front of me, and tell me you want to help me escape?" Jaxon was nearly about to yell, the rock still in his hands.

"We can burn down the cell towers, so no one can make calls. Meaning, Jayce and Ashton need to go to the police station to report to my dad and bring Niel," Amber said, "Then we can escape through the woods and out of town, 'cause even if someone sees us, they wouldn't be able to tell the police immediately as there's no signal for phone," she said it so proudly and specifically.

"Why are you helping me?" he narrowed his eyes.

"You deserved to do what you did to Eric," she replied.

"And why is that?"

"He's rejected me, a lot of times, and he really should have gotten what he got. A little boom in his mind to help him think," Amber responded, "That's why I owe you,"

"I'm not fully convinced," Jaxon furrowed.

"Would you rather have one supporter or none?" she asked back, "I'm the only ticket you have,"

"I can do it by myself,"

"But I'm a shield," she stated, "My dad would trust me, and I wouldn't be suspected of helping you escape,"

She has a point, Jaxon thought, and he was really on the verge of trusting her.

"I can help you get a fake identity," Amber continued, "And you can live off a fresh new page,"

He thought of her words well, "Fine, but if you try to double-cross me, you're only a step away from death,"

She gave a side-smirk, "No worries,"

That day, Amber had all the things she needed for her plan to go well. An alibi, her sister's hoodie, and now Jaxon, who was holding Ashton's lighter.

~~~

"By the way," Ashton interrupted, "We've solved the murder, so you can call your dad and tell him about everything, can I have the knife please?"

"For?" Jayce asked back.