It's Been A Few Minutes

''It's been a few minutes and I already miss you.'' Raavi launched herself at Shiva.
They were in a bar. She had accompanied Shiva in his 'date' that she had set up with a friend of her's. They were talking as she saw from a distance gulping down beer from the bottle in her hand. Seeing Shiva stiffen as the girl moved to hug him, Raavi made her move. Squeezing between the two, Raavi lunged at Shiva.

''Thanks yaar.'' Shiva whispered, relaxing as Raavi engulfed him in a hug. The girl before him was not his type; she liked a little too much of showing off in public. Most of the time they talked, he was informed about the high wages and posts her relatives worked for. He looked at Raavi for help but she was busy gulping the beer. But now he felt peace in the embrace. He sighed as he saw the girl go from there, her features sported a jealous look.
He looked at the girl in his embrace. She was laughing.
He pinched her to shut up, and he fell laughing out loud at the faces she made.
This girl, he had met her at an young age. They were children of 6 years when they had first met in school.
••••

''Aaahh.'' Shiva looked around as he heard a girl's cry.
With little steps he moved towards the girl. She had tripped over a boy of his class and fell down. The boys were laughing as they saw her sitting on her bum, her eyes brimmed with tears.
Shiva had felt bad that day. And that had resulted in those boys bleeding nose. He helped her get up and dusted her as she forwarded her hand for a handshake. And the story had started.
They had grown up, so did their friendship. Any problems for Raavi, Shiva was there to solve it and the vice versa. Shiva often came handy when Raavi needed to beat up some boys. And Raavi came in work when Shiva had his homeworks pending.
Slowly, the puberty hit them, then the teen, then they were now here completing their college life, their friendship still strong.
••••

Everybody hit the dance spot, so did Raavi, as the DJ played music. Shiva went to get a drink. The boy there, his friend, handed him a peg.
''Ye Chipkali ki drink hai?'' The boy nodded in affirmation when Shiva asked him.
''60ml whiskey, equal parts water, two ice cubes and no coke.'' Shiva stressed on the words ''no coke'', glaring at the boy as he was about to pour coke in the peg.
''Perfect.'' Raavi said, gulping the drink down and gave
Shiva a quick squeeze, before she went to the dance floor again. Taking his peg in hand, Shiva saw her; dancing but she missed the beats each time.
••••

''Movie dekhne jaayegi Saturday ko?'' Shiva messaged her as he took his leave from office. He was too tired even to walk to the parking area but talking with this girl is enough to take away all his weariness.
Connecting his ear pods to the phone, Shiva revved his bike up, and called Raavi.
''Hello!'' She sounded excited.
''Raavi, Saturday ko ek naya movie aaraha hai. Kab ka ticket book karu?''
He looked forward for these days. He knows nobody, but the girl with him was made for him.
''Is baar plan cancel karna padega. Iss Saturday tu 5 baje City Mall pe aajana. Kisiko milana hai tujhse.'' She giggled cutting the call.
Shiva's face fell. A third person between them. That's not how they spent saturdays. They would go for a movie, for a restaurant or simply sit in the house lazing around, playing games on the recently set up console. This Saturday he was so excited, but she had to bring a person in between.
•••

''Shiva, meet Rohan. Mera company ka Sales Department ka head.'' Raavi said as they sat themselves comfortably.
Shiva was bewildered as he saw Raavi with another man. 'Did she?' Thoughts crept up his mind.
''Hello.'' Rohan forwarded his hand. Jealousy took the driving seat of emotions; pressing the so called Rohan's hand hard while they shook hands.
''What would you like to order, sir?'' The waiter asked Rohan as he came to their table.
''Beer.'' Shiva responded.
''Then two beers and 1 whiskey. 60ml whiskey, equal parts water, two ice cubes and no coke.''
''Perfect.'' Raavi's hand wound around Rohan's arm as he looked at her dreamy face, smiling.
If looks could burn then Rohan would have been turned into ashes a long time ago. Shiva felt like a third wheel as the two kept on bickering.
Unable to see it, Shiva took his leave politely and sat down on the sofa as he let tears flow out.
••••

''Hamesha hot drops pe land kyu karta hai tu?'' Raavi was frustrated as they were killed for the 5th time in the game soon after they landed. Shiva made a boring face at her.
''Tune Disha ko text kiya?'' Raavi wiggled her brows.
Shiva was tongue tied.
''Shiva, tu na bohot bura hai isme.''
''Shiva main bol rahi hu, she is totally your type.'' Raavi continued not even looking at Shiva for his expressions.
''Lekin...'' He swallowed.
''Kya tujhe koi aur pasand hai?'' Raavi interrupted him.
''Well.. Umm. Shayad.'' Shiva said, his gaze still lingered on her.
''And, don't say that it's me.'' Raavi said nudging him, smiling.
''Um.. Chipkali.'' He trailed off as Raavi's notification alarm rang; her face had a smile of the kid who has been given chocolate after being denied for days.
'' Maine tujhko ek baat batana bhul gyi.'' Raavi looked at Shiva. ''Rohan uske doston ke saath ek trip plan kar raha hai. And he invited me.'' Shiva broke the eye contact at the moment Rohan's name came into conversation. ''Kya bolta hai, jaau ya nahi?'' Raavi asked him.
''You know, tujhe jana chahiye. Tujhe uske saath time spend karna chahiye and agar jaayegi to tum dono ka achha jaan pehchaan hogi. And it's high time you should go on a trip with someone else.'' Shiva said gulping the lump that had formed in his throat.
''Lekin thoda awkward nahi ho raha ye? Matlab hum to bas do tin dates pe hi gaye hai.'' Raavi was excited yet reluctant. ''To haan bol doon?'' Raavi asked Shiva, and replied to Rohan, not waiting for Shiva's reply.
Seeing the message sent, Shiva got up. He needed to wash the emotions, he felt right now, off his face.
••••

Shiva was feeling broken everytime a new notification came from Raavi. Everytime the notification alarm rang, his eyes would pool up.
Five days went by: watching movies, playing games, playing with his dog, Lion. In this many days, Raavi had not called him even once.
••••

''Chicken Dinner.'' The voice inside the game declared, and Shiva went to see who was there at the door.
''Hi!'' Raavi leapt onto him as soon as he opened the door. He just cherished the contact of their skin, smelling in her scent.
•••

''Kuch bolna chahti thi?'' Shiva asked her munching on the burger.
''Yes. Rohan ke baare me.'' Raavi kept the burger on the plate and looked towards Shiva. ''Wo humare beech kuch work out nahi kar raha. After spending almost a week, I got to know he is not my type.''
''60ml whiskey, 30ml water, 10ml coke, two ice cubes. Try kar ke dekh.'' Shiva offered her a glass.
''You know, hum wahan relax karne, vacation manane gaye the. But it didn't feel like one for me. Usko sab kuch karna hai. Disco jana hai, church jana hai, swimming karna hai, doston ke saath party bhi karna hai. Mujhe ghutan ho raha tha. I required much more attention that I got.'' She continued after emptying the glass.
''Kya chahiye tujhko?'' This girl was getting on his nerves.
''Mujhe na thoda aur attentive, thoda shabby, thoda unorganised and thoda tere jaisa.'' The morsel from his mouth fell, as Raavi completed her sentence and was succeeded by silence and tension coating the atmosphere.
''Then, tu mujhko date kar sakti thi?'' Shiva decided to break the silence. Raavi looked at him, astonished.
''Tu joke kar raha hai?'' Raavi asked, a little flustered with his question.
''Tu serious hai?'' Watching his features she knew he wasn't joking.
''Jitna banna chahta hoon usse kai zyada.'' Shiva kept the plate on the table and faced Raavi. ''Mujhse nahi ho paraha hai ye feelings chupana.'' Raavi looked at him, he looked tired. ''Mujhe nahi pata, kab aur kaise I fell for you. Mujhe nahi pata kyu tujhe dekhke mai kho jaata hoon. Mai aisi kitni saare cheezen karta hoon jo mujhe nahin pasand, but because I could spend some time with you. And the last thing I love to do is to say goodbye.''
''Raavi, tu sahi kehti thi. Main hi gadheda hoon, mere liye jo bani hai vo to mere samane hi thi. Usko main dekh nahi paya.'' Shiva shifted close, keeping his hand over her's.
''Shiva.'' Raavi got up jerking her hands from his. ''Hamare mein abhi kya hai? What if we become like Dev and Rishita? What if we end up hating each other like them?''

Unable to take the sudden impact of her, Shiva went to his room, closing the door with a bang. Raavi sat down sulking, head in her hands. She was too much exhausted from the conversation.
••••

''Shiva.'' She yelled.
''Shiva darwaza khol.'' Raavi banged on the door.
''Shiva tu hamesha aisa cheezon se bhagta rehta hai. Problem kya hai tera?'' Her pounding on the door continued.
''Tujhe kaise lagta ki humare beech sab smooth chalega?'' Raavi had tears brimming.

She saw the door open and breathed a sigh of relief as Shiva had shown his face.
''Because it had been some minutes and I already missed you so much.'' He collected Raavi close as she fell into his arms, her moist eyes closed in bliss, on its own accord.

•••••
Valentine day ka gift.
I know late I am late. But kya karoon?
Offline classes and Assignments are getting on my nerves.

P.S.- Plot inspired from Filtercopy.