Civil War: Chapter Nine

Steve and Bucky crouched behind the metal supports of another gangway and a plane taxi vehicle. They peered around the corner and spotted the quinjet in the hanger. It was still hundreds of feet away and this fight showed no signs of slowing anytime soon. Their chests heaved in sync and they exchanged identical grim looks.

"We gotta go," Bucky said quietly, fist clenching. "That guy's probably in Siberia by now."

His gaze moved from Steve to over his shoulder. Marie's shadow curled around the box and materialized. Her wide eyes blinked at him. Sweat, dirt, and blood stained her face. He eyed the red crusted around her nose and the streak of blood on the back of her hand.

Steve scanned the skies. "We've got to draw out the flyers I'll take Vision. You get to the jet."

Marie tore her gaze away from Bucky and followed Steve's. It was impossible. There was no way they would all get to the quinjet without either them or the jet blowing up. She briefly closed her eyes and breathed slowly.

"It won't work," Marie said, both to Steve and over their comms. "We-We don't—We don't have enough time."

"You guys get to the jet!" Sam shouted, hurdling through the sky with Rhodes on his tail. "The rest of us aren't getting out of here."

Clint voiced his agreement. "As much as I hate to admit it, if we're going to win this one, some of us might have to lose it."

"This isn't the real fight, Steve," Marie murmured, pressing her hand on his back.

Steve flexed his jaw and nodded, trying to hide the slump in his shoulders. "Alright Sam, what's the play?"

"We need a diversion. Something big."

"I got something kind of big, but I can't hold it very long," Scott Lang piped up. "On my signal, run like hell. And if I tear myself in half... don't come back for me."

Marie raised an eyebrow.

"He's gonna tear himself in half?" Bucky asked warily. He and Marie made eye contact, and for the first time since this shitshow began, they shared a wry grin.

Steve frowned. "You're sure about this Scott?"

"I do it all the time. I mean, once... in a lab. Then I passed out."

Well, it wasn't the vote of confidence they were looking for, but Scott Lang was all they had left.

Marie watched and waited. She shook out her sore arms and rolled her neck, massaging the kinks that spiked with pain. She planned on taking a six-century long nap after this. She caught her breath and let her body rest for this one moment.

And then the ground shook.

Marie's eyes flew open to see a giant Scott Lang. His eyes were as wide as hers (not a very comforting sign) and he cackled like a mad scientist. He took large, lumbering steps and swiped his car-sized hands through the sky.

"Woah," she whispered.

Steve blinked in surprise. "I guess that's the signal."

The awe wore off quickly. She sprinted after Steve and Bucky as they made a mad dash across the airport tarmac. Their feet flew over the ground, arms pumping by their sides and lungs barely able to expand and contract fast enough. Marie could feel her muscles burning, her ankles protesting with each heavy step.

Behind them, they could hear the loud grunts from Scott, his thundering steps and various explosions. It was the best distraction they could have asked for.