The Winter Soldier: Chapter Two

It was the cruel, conniving work of fate that she ended up on her first official S.H.I.E.L.D. mission with Brock Rumlow. Part of her wanted to blame Fury; the rest of her knew Rumlow would have done anything to work a mission with her.

Marie stood on the other side of Steve, keeping him between her and Rumlow. Her arms were crossed over her chest as she studied the information on the screen; she only half-listened to Rummlow's brief.

"The target is a mobile satellite launch platform: The Lemurian Star. It was sending up their last payload when pirates took them, ninety-three minutes ago."

Steve's gaze wandered the screen. "Any demands?"

"A billion and a half." Marie snorted. They clearly didn't want to release the hostages at that price; they were waiting for them to come. She cracked her knuckles. That was fine with her.

Steve followed her line of thinking. "Why so steep?"

"Because it's S.H.I.E.L.D.'s," Rumlow shrugged. His eyes glanced over to Marie. She kept her gaze firmly on the screen. The more he looked at her, the tighter her suit seemed to get. She was going to ask Tony to for a new, looser one as soon as this mission was over.

"So, it's not off course, it's trespassing," Steve stated, irked.

Natasha was much more relaxed about the mission. "I'm sure they have a good reason."

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor," Steve muttered.

Marie gave him a half-smile and gently bumped his hip. "We've got this, Cap. It won't-It won't be that com-com-complicated."

Steve inhaled and gave her a terse nod before looking at Rumlow. "How many pirates?"

Rumlow, who watched their exchange closely, turned to the screen. "Twenty-five, top mercs, led by this guy. Georges Batroc." His picture appeared on the monitor and Marie grimaced. "Ex-TGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of Interpol's "red notice." Before the French demobilized, he had thirty-six kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

Marie frowned and rubbed her clammy hands together. She grew more jittery the longer they discussed the mission details. She coached her breathing. Four in. Hold Seven. Breathe eight.

"Hostages?"

"Mostly techs. One officer, Jasper Sitwell. They're located in the galley," Rumlow finished.

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" Steve muttered to himself. He shook his head, collecting himself and activating Captain America mode.

"All right, I'm going to sweep the deck with Devnner and find Batroc. Nat, you'll kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to life pods. Get them out."

"With all due respect, Captain," Rumlow glanced at Marie and she bristled, "I think it would be beneficial to have Agent Devnner assisting us with the hostages. She could provide some useful insight with her abilities."

Marie recalled Natasha's instructions on how to keep her face blank. She smoothed the skin out between her eyebrows and kept her mouth relaxed. Her eye might have twitched though.

"Devnner will sweep the deck with me, and then wait for further instructions. We don't know what to expect from them. It's best to keep our options flexible," Steve said firmly.

Rumlow nodded, his eyes flickering to Marie one last time before moving to his team. "STRIKE, you heard the Captain. Gear up."

"Thanks," Marie breathed as she slid past Steve. She grabbed a handful of knives and stuck them to her hips, thigh, and one in her boot.