One more angel (one-shot)

Brought from my ao3 account, where it sat forgotten for years

Water droplets fall from Castiel's raven-wing hair as he huffs. The man raises his eyes to the sky, his cerulean eyes squinting in the dim light. It filters through the dark clouds in thin golden strings. The sun is too sheepish to expose its blushing face to the world today, it hides beneath the slate-grey sheet instead.

He takes a seat on the bench, holding a tiny bouquet. The man looks down sheepishly at the ground, his eyes glistening with a trace of sorrow. A teardrop drops on his cheek and flows down his face as the man raises his eyes to the sky once more. Another bothersome drip settles on his brow. And then there was another. Castiel changes to a new position on the bench, however, he remains seated.

He glances sideways, suddenly his courage evaporates. He lets out yet another heavy sigh and looks up. He smiles tenderly, his eyes remain the sheen.

"Hello, Dean." Castiel speaks lowly "It's been a long time."

The man's gaze flickers but he manages to get his eyes back up. The man lets out a soft scoff, his hands begin to shake. The blue-eyed man defeats his inner tremor but his nails are still nervously picking at the rose stems.

"I know we haven't talked in ages but here I am." he scoffs softly "Talking to you finally."

Castiel pauses and listens to the silence. Dean has always been a good listener. The man lifts his gaze up at the sky, his eyes glimmering even more.

"Jo's doing well. She finally passed her driving exam." Castiel's nods to himself with a smile "I-I dropped out, I-..."

The man runs his hand across his face and glances sideways again, the roses in his hands tremble in the wind. His hands tremble too.

"Um... We..." Castiel pauses yet again to take a deep breath "We found your car..."

He smiles, heavy sheen over his eyes.

"It was um... The police said that they were looking for- Bobby said that it's gonna take ages to start the engine but he'll try his best... Also..."

Castiel sticks his hand into the pocket of his coat and places a small paper card on his lap. He smiles again, his lips turning into a frown seconds later.

"I found your ID, you left it in my dorm." Castiel's eyes crinkle in sorrow "I guess it's too late to return this."

The sun pokes through, illuminating the wet streaks on Castiel's face. The man shakes his head lightly as a merry face looks back at him.

Dean Winchester January 24, 1998, say small letters next to the photo.

The same name is now written in stone.

Dean Winchester January 24, 1998- October 9, 2018

Castiel sticks his hand back into his pocket and sniffles. The roses softly land on the granite.

"I came by to tell you that-" a small cry rips out the air out of the man's lungs, he looks down again, his hands shake "That I love you."

He stares at the ground where he had placed the flowers, the candles burned out leaving an empty shell. Castiel picks them up and lights another, a new one. Only if he could light a flame in his own soulless shell of a body.

Castiel's fingers press against his chapped lips, the kiss is transferred by his hand onto the cold cold granite.

"Goodbye, Dean." Castiel's lips whisper a soft farewell before the man leaves the old cemetery "Goodbye."