chapter fourteen

(a.n: this is very veryyy long chapter, but it gives good insight to a lot of character relationships. hope you guys enjoy it anyway <33)

"Two birds on a wire. One says come on, and the other says;

I'm tired.."

Two Birds- Regina Spektor

~~~

THE 68TH HUNGER GAMES

Being almost trapped underground with little to do and little distraction, Dove almost fell into her own mind. She was given the time to reflect on her traumatic memories endured from her time in the Games. The 68th Hunger Games. Growing closer to Katniss Everdeen reminded her of her best friend who was lost in that arena many years ago.

Starr Sidonie, and their entire experience after the Reaping.

—SEVEN YEARS AGO—

After Dove stuck her hand up for her terrified little sister, she was escorted to Glaïne's side by frustrated peacekeepers. Growing impatient by their aggressive handling, Dove shrugged them off as she got to the stairs.

"I can walk myself, pal." Dove remarked with a glare as she took Glaïne's hand.

Glaïne ushered her over to where the bowl of girls names were, as she stood with one hand fiddling with her necklace that Finnick gave to her. She peered across the stage, locking eyes with a worried Finnick. He nodded his head to try reassure her, but Dove saw straight through Finnick's demeanour; he was terrified.

"Now for the boys." Glaïne smiled, taking a piece of paper out of the boys bowl. "Kai Arc!" Glaïne exclaimed.

Fuck. Dove said to herself, as she saw the large male tribute walk confidently on stage.

Kai Arc was possibly the worst possible tribute Dove could have in the Games beside her. He was cocky, rude, and extremely dangerous. Also a massive Capitol sympathiser; he would definitely be joining the Career pack and not giving two shits about the 16 year old.

"Hold hands you two." Glaïne whispered.

Dove hesitantly took Kai's hand, as he gave her the most conniving smirk imaginable. Dove scoffed at his expression, forcing a smile to the crowd so she could tear her hand away before his touch made her physically sick.

"There you have it folks, the tributes from District 4: Kai Arc and Dove Akari!" Glaïne announced.

The crowd erupted into cheer. Dove assumed it was for Kai; he would definitely be one to watch and one predicted to win. However, what Dove didn't realise that day, was that her entire District believed the Victor on that stage was not the arrogant boy who enjoyed the spotlight. Rather, the girl who knew how to fight in the shadows.

"Dove!" Isabelle cried, as she lunged her body into her sisters.

"Hey, hey. It's okay, it's okay." Dove reassured her baby sister, who was refusing to let go. "Listen, Izzy, I need you to listen for me, okay? I only have a few minutes." Dove said, grabbing Isabelle's arms urgently but gently.

"Please don't go." Isabelle cried, as Dove tried to fight back her own tears.

"Listen to me, you're going to be fine, okay? Mom and Dad are gonna take care of you while I'm gone. You're going to carry on, you go fishing with Dad if you need food, don't risk putting your name in that bowl anymore times, alright?" Dove urged.